SRT 800 X-rays

Bryncrug72

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm looking for a seven speed gripshifter does anyone have any experience with the SRT 800 X-ray shifters and if so what are they like ? I'd like to use a "retro" shifter rather than a modern one, also do they index with shimano mechs ?

They do work with Shimano mechs. They were only every made in 8 speed. The housings were very brittle and loads of them have fallen to bits. If you want seven speed look out some SRT series, probably a better bet in my book. :)

Reluctant":7dcwewu2 said:
They do work with Shimano mechs. They were only every made in 8 speed. The housings were very brittle and loads of them have fallen to bits. If you want seven speed look out some SRT series, probably a better bet in my book. :)

Sound advice there! Bear in mind that it's especially important to use the SRT prefix shifters and not anything with ESP mentioned, these are only compatible with SRAM mechs which have a different degree of cable pull (i.e Shimano won't work).

It's also worth looking for Sachs Wavey if you fancy another option - I've had a pair in the past and they are really rather good. Other folks on here also speak highly of them, they tend to crop up on Ebay once in a while, often in NOS condition for some reason...

SRT X Rays were def only 8 speed.I think I have a 7 speed SRT 500 shifter somewhere,its far more durable than xrays and would have been the type Tomac and co used bitd.If I find it you can have it gratis so long as postage is paid.

If you can find them, then the 7 speed Sachs Wavey shifters are a much better option than the non ESP Sram shifters if you are going for a Gripshift style shifter.

Cheers I may take you up on that offer, the reason why I need a gripshift is I only have one arm, I use one upside down on my full sus and it works well for me, I want to keep the look of the Bear Valley retro but might add a couple of modern parts to creep in

Back