new project: filliet brazed Hobbs of Barbican?

Midlife":10yiw0t8 said:
Seat tube has been cut down and a pinch bolt brazed on in place of the original clip ?

Does the head tube have bi-laminate lugs with something filed off.......

Interesting :)

Shaun

Hence my comment creatively modified, viz the seat tube and head tube. Regarding the head tube; strange, but not a bi-laminate CB. I've only seen a grease nipple on a head tube on pre-war or very early post war frames (not on a Hobbs or CB though).

The orange frame (I've seen previously) has Hobbs distinctive/trademark alloy seat tube clip missing (Hobbs used a very different one from CB) - I can provide images if desired.

The crimped chainstays may offer a clue. Also Hobbs of Barbican stopped building frames in 1953, this is well documented.

Jon.

N.B pre war Hobbs frames did not have a letter prefix to the frame number.

So maybe the frame is pre-war or just post war? Very interesting.

You really think the seat clamp cluster was added later? The filing of the head-tube the bi-laminate lugs seems like a lot of unnecessary work...... but i guess you could be right. These are the bi-lam lugs on my tandem, there is no way i would consider altering these.....

DSC00089-2.jpg

Hi luckyskull76,

implied in my original response the frame (whatever it's identity) has been modified around the seat lug - just examine the brazing.

Take a look at the headset, the bottom bearing is actually a top race incorrectly installed - this incorrect installation is because (this is what it looks like to me - I don't have the frame to examine) the headtube was originally designed to take a headclip - which is not the same as a headset, and why it looks a little like a bi-laminate (which it is not).

Take it apart I'll be surprised if I'm wrong.

Hence my original comment about the date.

Jon.

the frame arrived today. the seat tube has about 6 holes in it. they get larger as i put a screw driver in them..... i think this project has stopped before it has started....

Back