Bike Identification help

cdrcm100

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of my Wife and my Mother in Law. We've been clearing out my in-laws garage and have come across an old racing bike which we know belonged to my father-in laws dad.

It's not wanted anymore so we are looking to sell it on but the only one who new anything about it was my father-in -law who has passed away.

I've attached some images and would appreciate any advice on what exactly we have and what it might be worth. IF anyone needs any other pics then please let me know

From my research I think we have a late 40s/ early 50's Paris Galibier. There is no frame number that I can see but the style of the frame and the Paris badge seem to identify it fairly clearly. The age would also be right as we know who bought it and when.

I haven't measure the frame size yet but it must be about 20/21 inch as i'm 6'2 it feels about right compared to my bike.

Condition looks to be ok for a bike of this age and although there are a couple of spots where the paint has gone it looks to be the original finish. Bike is complete with original saddle and from what I can see all original running gear (single gear as racer).

All in all we are after your knowledge so we can decide where we go from here......

Many thanks

Rob

Attachments

• Bike pic 1.JPG
    Bike pic 1.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 622
  • bike pic 2.jpg
    bike pic 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 622
  • bike pic 3.jpg
    bike pic 3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 622
  • bike pic 4.jpg
    bike pic 4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 622
  • bike pic 5.jpg
    bike pic 5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 622
  • bike pic 6.jpg
    bike pic 6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 622
Hi, yes it is a Paris Galibier, it looks 1948'ish, there should be a serial number on the bottom bracket. Is that blue hammerite on it ? This is a rare desirable find, so tread carefully, certainly on my list of bikes to have. If you can get the serial number I can date for you, it should be a four digit number starting with 2 or 3 at a guess. What do you want to do with it ? Terry

Many thanks. I did have a look around the bottom bracket yesterday but couldn't see anything. I'll have another look tonight when I get back from work and let you know. Regarding the paint finish initially I thought it had been re-painted as well but my mother-in-law remembers it always being like that, plus if it is paint its very neatly done...i'd expect to see some runs or brush marks or . That said if it has been painted that may explain why I can't see a serial number...

will update later this evening.

Ultimately we are looking to sell as i'm happy on my MTB so won't ride it and no point it being sat on a shelf somewhere when it should be on the road

Hi, as stated tread carefully, it is a very desirable collectors piece, so will command a high price, even with that paint on it. If you need any advice, my wife wouldn't allow this sort of expenditure, so it would be neutral advice, just 'pm' me. Terry

as well as Retrobike I've always found these two a useful resource site:
<< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/Paris.html >>
<< http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... r_main.htm >>
good luck with the eventual sale and try not to let potential buyers persuade you to sell the frame only as the components all look to be original 40's/50's, if you can't fine the frame number under what looks to be a repaint it will certainly be duplicated clearly on the fork steerer tube also check the back of the Williams cranks as there is usually a letter that can help give an idea of date when they were originally fitted

Back