Retro Reynolds 531c badged as a Walvale £180

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Retro 531c Reynolds competition tubed 22" or 56cm sized frame in Yellow ,labelled as a Walvale with campag brev rear dropouts and micro adjusters .

nice clean condition with some age related marks but nothing major , 14 speed with mixture of shimano altus and exage changers operated via suntour levers . 700c mavic rimmed wheels fr is ma2 whilst rr is an ma40 both laced with stainless spokes to shimano 105 hubs , new 700 x 28 tyres .

weinmann 605 calipers shimano super sl aero style levers mounted on cinelli criterium drop bars and cinelli 95mm stem . head set lock nut is marked as campag but unsure re rest being campag .

Alloy micro adjust seat post , shimano 400ex chainset with alloy pedals and christophe cages .

just been serviced ie headset clean and re grease , wheel hub bearings cleaned and greased an spokes re tensioned .

the frame number is 4 digits whilst it seems most Walvales have 6 digits

great ride and nice and bright . Asking for offers around £245

bike is in Wellingborough nn8 postcode area , might offer postage if not local for an extra £21.50

Attachments

• WALVALE2.JPG
    WALVALE2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 2,457
  • walvale4.JPG
    walvale4.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 2,315
Re: Retro Reynolds 531c badged as a Walvale

fork looks like the ones from Gazelle, I have one, and the crown is the same.

interesting thoughts guys , must admit i was told early 80's but soon as i saw lugs and wheel clearance i thought earlier and it almost looks like it could run with 27" wheels , have changed bike pic to show as is ie 700 x 28 tyres . have also included headstock front on pic and top of rear stays and bottom bracket showing hole drilled for cable guide locator peg that goes part through 3rd & 4th digit . when bike was stripped and cleaned local bike shop didnt make a note of any numbers on forks to see if they match frame number !

if anybody can help id great

Attachments

• walvale3.JPG
    walvale3.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,314
  • walvale5.JPG
    walvale5.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,313
  • walvale6.JPG
    walvale6.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,313

Looks like a 1968-1972 Carlton with 5-7 digit frame number under the BB with Crespera Lugs. Someone updated it in the 80's with under BB guides and TT cable guides......

Shaun

Midlife":3dnkub4j said:
Looks like a 1968-1972 Carlton with 5-7 digit frame number under the BB with Crespera Lugs. Someone updated it in the 80's with under BB guides and TT cable guides......

Shaun

shaun its only got 4 digit frame number . i am not convinced re cable guides being added as can be seen where paint is marked its only grey primer underneath and same on cable guide bracket hole on bottom bracket shell .

i am happy to accept it might not be an original Walvale .

do you think a 1968 - 1972 Carlton would have campag rr drop outs ?

keep the ideas coming boys

Im here.

I agree about the lugs it has the look of a Carlton, but as said it doe seems to have been possibly modified at some point. Its the rear seat stays that out me off it being a Carlton, I've not seen those used with the Crespera lugs...

Latest posts

Back