Raleigh ti 753R frame

casper2788

Devout Dirtbag
has anyone got any thoughts on the raleigh 753R it is the black and red paint colour with yellow banding,i am very tempted to buy one i've seen recently and is in good condition.They are asking for £1000 but would take £650 but i still think this is still steep.Not just the pricing but the 753R in general is it taking to much of a risk.Thanks.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 551
It depends on the provenance and the condition. Was it built for a particular rider? is it in good nick, has it been refurbished, what's the frame number.......

So many questions.

Shaun

BB and forks all stamped,has been in storage for quite a while indoors.bit of a dent on the seat tube and the odd chain slap.

Not too expert, but at a thou, that's way,way ott. Six-fifty without forks still pushing it. Personally, I'd go £400 absolute max, and seek to bargain to three-fifty-ish. YMMV, d'accord, and certainly very nice tho and would be interested in other's comments re ball-park evaluations, ride quality etc.

First question is why is it without forks?

Second question is how bad is the dent?

Regardless of the answers to the above, dented 753 and forkless I reckon £200 to £250 is plenty and if the answers to the above raise concerns then quite a bit less than that I reckon.

Have a look at the e-bay advert for more pics, it does come with forks. The 753 decal looks brand new and the frame number has no SB before it. Can't put my finger on it but something not just quite right. All the hardware is there but just doesn't gel..............mighe be wrong as usual.

Shaun

PS just thought..........shouldn't it have a riveted head badge?

It looks genuine as the ends are drilled campag and it's with forks and i think it's had a refurb as to the badge being removed possibly.It's also about the choice of 753 are they to thin although strong and don't have a long life when it's had some stick.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141067795700? ... 431wt_1132

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If it was about 3-350.00 then it may be a possible buy. £1000 and even £650 is just too much based on what has sold this year on eBay. It has a really poor and very thick repaint, perhaps why the SB isn't visible. The image from under the BB looks incredibly thick. Even the person writing the advert said the rear dropouts look like Campag - they probably can't see campag on the dropouts because of the bad paint.

Unless you have the frame in your hands and can measure the tube diameters you may never know about it being 753. Ask them the weight of the frame and forks, there is a definite weight difference between 753 and 531. Ask them to stick a seat pin in and ask what size pin it takes. It has all the signs of being an SB frame. The 3 top tube cable guides aren't the norm but could have been requested from new or changed at any time in its 30 year life. The head badge probably got changed as part of the poor refurbish.

It's my size, 57cm, and if I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted but not at that price.

There are plenty of people riding old 753 frames like this - but with a 30 year old frame and no history, you always take a chance.

Neil

Back