unwealthy lorry drivers

cherrybomb":3lgcxkri said:
Pleased to see the witch hunt seems to have moved on from 4X4s though. :roll:

Are mtb's the 4x4's of the cycling world :shock: :LOL:

Jeeeez, what is the carbon footprint of the frame I just imported from the USA?

Feeling guilty, off to plant a tree!

cherrybomb":2r6mx5p2 said:
Pleased to see the witch hunt seems to have moved on from 4X4s though. :roll:

unless you are a tanker driver who uses a Range Rover to get to the depot? :LOL:

On a serious note, why do people get so hung up about what other people earn for doing their job compared to what they get for doing their own? The majority of people choose their vocation with their eyes wide open and know how they will be rewarded. They don't train as a nurse or teacher or engineer for three years and then turn round and say "Oh my god you're only going to pay me £**k". The same with the armed forces - yes they deserve far far more in my opinion but they made their choice to join, theres no national service anymore (although it would do some good to reintroduce it ;) ).

So good luck to the lorry drivers and anyone else who asks for a bit more. That said I disagree with strikes but that's another discussion.

BTW - my wife is a nurse.

MadCowKev":2bereygk said:
The majority of people choose their vocation with their eyes wide open and know how they will be rewarded. They don't train as a nurse or teacher or engineer for three years and then turn round and say "Oh my god you're only going to pay me £**k". The same with the armed forces - yes they deserve far far more in my opinion but they made their choice to join

So good luck to the lorry drivers and anyone else who asks for a bit more.

Agree 100%

Absolutely agree. The whinging about money only gets listened to when too many people put their money where their mouth is and leave. Hence loads of focus on HM Forces at the moment as retention is a nightmare (especially when £39k is available for driving a truck). What someone is worth and what they get paid are not necessarily the same thing, it is all about what the market will sustain.

I have a question related to this .... why don't haulage companies lock in their fuel prices in advance using the futures markets?

I know it's easy in hindsight to say this but surely it's just business practice to get your fuel prices to a known level so that you can run your business?

Happy to explain more if needed ...

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the strike, but the latest pay deal offered would mean that the lorry drivers will be earning £2 per hour less now than in 1992.

Now whether this means they got paid far tomuch in 92 is up to personal opinion. But I dont believe there is a single person on here who wouldnt complain if their boss said they would pay them £2 less an hour than 16 years ago.

Back