Judy v. Singletrack

blilrat

Dirt Disciple
Singletrack wins again. Riding along and a familiar sound comes from the fork - CLUNK. Damn it - bottomed out! The sound also lets me know the cartridge is blown again and I get to ride a few miles of rooty, rocky east coast USA singletrack with a pogo stick front end back to the car.

The Judy cartridge wasn't even that good back when it was new and it's really bad now. Any drops over a foot and out leaks the oil. Is there a period correct fork (mid 90s) you guys are running that isn't getting destroyed during a ride? Bomber Z2 maybe?

10119557035_8a7f7abe02_c.jpg

Re: Judy v. Singletrack / 0-lost count

I have a couple of Z2 forks at the moment and they have been completely reliable over loads of rides over several years. They work very well too.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the 1996 Judy XC forks I picked up earlier this year. On their first ride they were great until the freshly refilled cartridge blew and, as you say, turned them into a pogo stick.

I'd like to find a permanent fix for this all too common problem.

Do your forks have the original plastic cartridges? They were a real pain and on my first generation Judy DH used to blow the oil regularly. The aluminium cartridges that came on the second generation Judy DH (sorry, don't know what year) which offered compression and rebound damping adjustments were much better.

hey blilrat, what bike have you got the Judy's on? Looks like it might be an FSR?

The fit of the oil seal in the tube gets pretty loose. Some I have just fall out. I have a packet of new seals and a pile of cartridges I am going to have a go at this winter. The new seals are a nice tight fit.

jonboy":11w0r5ys said:
Do your forks have the original plastic cartridges? They were a real pain and on my first generation Judy DH used to blow the oil regularly. The aluminium cartridges that came on the second generation Judy DH (sorry, don't know what year) which offered compression and rebound damping adjustments were much better.

hey blilrat, what bike have you got the Judy's on? Looks like it might be an FSR?

This fork has the plastic cartridge and the 'Judd' spring upgrade which adds to the pogo effect once the seal's blown. I had a Judy XC with the aluminum cartridge. It lasts longer than the plastic before blowing the seal, but it never makes a whole season of riding. It's too bad really, because the fork works well for what it is until the seal lets go. On the plus side, I can rebuild the cartridge fairly quickly now.

Yes, '95 S-works FSR. Fun ride as long as the fork is working.

Uncle Monty":9hdg3rlh said:
The fit of the oil seal in the tube gets pretty loose. Some I have just fall out. I have a packet of new seals and a pile of cartridges I am going to have a go at this winter. The new seals are a nice tight fit.

You would hope the c-clip that holds the thing together would overcome any looseness. I guess a decade or so of the seals letting go should have removed that thought from my head. I'd be interested to know if the new seals work for you.

There were after market dampers that were supposed to be much better than the RS ones - risse spring to mind.

To overcome the problem, what you really need is a set of Eko sport/Englund total air cartridges. Got some in a set of fsx and they are really good.

Back