new project: filliet brazed Hobbs of Barbican?

luckyskull76

Retro Guru
So i'm just about to start a restoration project on this fillet brazed frame. Any clue what this could be? Hobbs of Barbican? I believe it has been re-badged.
Serial number W1172

I would dearly like advice on components for this build. Would it have taken 26 x 1 3/4 wheels? or 27? It has two sets of derailleur cable guides.....Osgear set-up i believe?....and what colour should i enamel it?! ......I think I have quite a way to go on this project.

Have the dropouts been cut down?!?
Can anyone recommend someone close to London who can do repair the dropouts that wont finish off the budget before the build has even started.

I am certain it is not a Hobbs of Barbican, I have two fillet brazed Hobbs, one bought new by my Wife's Dad.

I have another acquired from it's original owner: I am familiar with their features and they were always very well built.

If you'd like additional comments about your frame I'll be happy to give you my reasons; an example is I've never seen two grease nipples on HoB BB, and it has been creatively modified - particularly the seat cluster.

A question: why do you think it's a HoB?

Jon (aka Roadking).

Looks a bit Claud Butler ish 1950's

Not sure why though ? Maybe someone can decipher the frame number?

Shaun

The Hobbs of Barbican was really a starting point. Any chance of a picture of your bikes so i can compare?..... I have no clue what it could be, I have been looking at builders who used fillet brazing, hobbs looked a little like it..... CB had crossed my mind. but a few subtle differences would maybe indicate otherwise.....I don't think the seat cluster has be modified, the slight cut away is in keeping the the slight cutaway on the head tube lugs..... the dropouts on the other hand have been butchered.

then i found this.....
20120618_130439.jpg

20120618_130415.jpg

20120618_130339.jpg

20120618_130304.jpg

20120618_130255.jpg

20120618_130234.jpg
[/quote]

Interesting frame , but not a Hobbs . Hobbs frame no. do start with a letter, noting the month of build ie , A for January , B for Febuary etc ruling your frame out as the no. starts with a W.

Seat tube has been cut down and a pinch bolt brazed on in place of the original clip ?

Does the head tube have bi-laminate lugs with something filed off.......

Interesting :)

Shaun

picture of the head-tube from the front..... i will strip the paint, then i should be able to see if it was altered....

Back