Campag sealed bottom bracket cups

Tamandua

Retro Guru
Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand chorus square taper cartridge bb with italian thread to replace the English one that came with a 2nd hand groupset I had bought previously

On My original English threaded bb , both alu cups slide off to reveal the sealed bearings . On the italian model only one cup will come off , the drive side seems wedged on and I can't get it off. Is this something I should be worried about? Are the bearings meant to be replaceable ?

The reason I'm querying it is that the new italian bb does not feel anywhere near as smooth as my original . Perhaps I should just return it to the seller but I wondered if I could just switch the cups over to use my original axle with the new italian cups?

Also my original bb has plenty of grease inside the cups which enables them to slide over the bearings . The non drive side cup on the italian that I can remove appears to have none, is this perhaps the reason I can't remove the other side and why it feels a bit rough when I turn the axle ? If I do manage to remove both cups would a bit of grease solve the problem? It feels more 'scratchy ' than grinding when tuning the axle if that make as sense .

I'm a campag newbie so any help appreciated !

Thanks

Which version?
The early 90's 111mm axle version should come all the way apart and is completely rebuildable.
The cups can be difficult to remove. I've had examples where the bearings corroded/bonded to the cup pretty solidly.

Latest posts

Back