Reynolds 531 Billato ?

kgt

Old School Hero
I have a chance of buying this NOS Billato frame/fork for 300 euros. It is supposed to be a 1985 model built with Reynolds 531 (aero?) tubes.
Is it original? Any feedback, info, thoughts, remarks?

3918684_4_b.jpg

3918684_2_b.jpg

3918684_3_b.jpg

3918684_6_b.jpg

3918684_5_b.jpg

3918684_g_b.jpg

3918684_h_b.jpg

ive never seen one of these its a piece of history . Billato built for look and Lemond and prob loads of otthers. The build quality is good enough to be used in the tdf and is obvious from your close ups its genuine and rare . great find ! :cool:

it looks brand new, great colour,really stylish. to get something like that re sprayed and re-stickered would cost at least 300 i would snap it up asap if you havent already . it would be really good if some one here could do a write up of the history of 'billato' i havent been to italy but when i do go hopefully i will pay homage to them
may be even on my lemond !

Is it usual for Billato to use Reynolds tubesets at 1985? I would expect Columbus SL tubeset to be the norm for an italian company back then.

i agree it is unusual . but the lugs and drop outs i reckon are typical billato .
If one were to invent a forgery and go to the trouble of pantographing the seat stay, and do such a good paint and sticker job , you would have to be a right knob or a highly skilled,joker.
what i mean is a faker such as this could make an equally as good ,fake colnago and sell for at least double.
but of course some one could have simply purchased the reynolds sticker's , an ignorant previous owner perhaps,
the internal seat post bore 27.2 both the same. perhaps s a retro bike member has an identicle one or a member in Italy could ask billato and help .

hi' i tried to google billato and could not get any joy about their factorys where abouts.
they do carbon and combinations of steel /carbon or used to.
someone wrote that they only started their own range in recent years, perhaps they trade under a different
name ? and that seems to add to the mystery of the topic of the 1985. road bike
It needs enlightening , perhaps there was a shortage of columbus sl at the time of the build or financial influences may have warranted a change ? an apprentice project or a prototype of some kind ?my thoughts turn to that fillet brazed gan team coloured frame on this forum not so long ago.
as for m self visiting billato, i doubt if i would get passed security.they are massive!

At a quick look some of the bits look later to me.
But it looks like a nice bike and good value at that price.

let me ask Roberto directly and let you know, I am still in contact with him .

He is still in the bicycle business but his Italian production stopped a long time ago .

He made a lot of bikes back in the day and is very much a larger than life character .

Back