Restoring a mid-1990's Italian Bike...

The bike loks great and i like the 'action' shot too!! I am obvioulsy jealous of the smooth road too.

I am a bit confused by your rear wheel issues. I presume you got the freewheels removed and you mentioned the axle was broken in two - did you get a new hub and get the wheel rebuilt then? From the pic of the Sachs FW is looked OK to me - what was the issue with it?

Richard

TGR":2okw0jig said:
The bike loks great and i like the 'action' shot too!! I am obviously jealous of the smooth road too.
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your comment.

Believe me, the roads in my area are far from being smooth, and that picture just shows an exception (probably due to lower shutter speed, etc.). Here are some other photos taken during the ride that shows the truth :oops: :

10112292374_e38e0c704f.jpg

10112433603_33bf837d21.jpg

Any time I go abroad with my bike, I am amazed how much better roads are elswhere.

TGR":2okw0jig said:
I am a bit confused by your rear wheel issues. I presume you got the freewheels removed and you mentioned the axle was broken in two - did you get a new hub and get the wheel rebuilt then? From the pic of the Sachs FW is looked OK to me - what was the issue with it?
The wheel axle was replaced, spokes tensioned, etc. But the freewheel cogs are so worn that the new chain only works (just about) on 4 of them and slips on the rest of the cogs. The derailleur is properly set up, so no issue there. Once the chain shifts onto a worn cog, it jumps all over the place, just does not fit on the teeth that are too wide apart.
I would be happy to replace the complete wheel for something with an 8-speed cassette. This wheel is older than the bike and does not match the front wheel anyway.

47p2":3rdm9baa said:
Shimano cranks are 'JIS' fitting and not compatible with square tapered BB axles

JIS refers to the type of taper, also commonly available is ISO taper.
JIS fits Shimano,
ISO fits Campag.
Sometimes Campag cranksets have been bolted on to the 'stubbier' JIS square tape, effectively enlarging the square hole in the crank arm.
Offering a Shimano crank to a ISO spindle will usually result in it 'bottoming out'

Back