Pedal Identification Help Required Please!

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, I recently picked up a pair of campagnolo pedals, and as usual, I am unable to determine what on earth they are! Can anyone help?! Thanks in advance.

You need shoes that look like this (although the wood soles are not required)

Attachments

• 7468629172_740d7ac208.jpg
    7468629172_740d7ac208.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 498
  • 7468629588_95838914ff_z.jpg
    7468629588_95838914ff_z.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 498
Ah, good old wooden soles!! Always great to see 'em!! Now that I think about it, where did all my 'old' gear go?

I know just the man to get them from. I'll be back in a mo with an address.

dtm0121 on lfgss.com
You will have to register and post a couple of posts etc. then you can pm.

I bought a pair off him last year or

This ebay.it seller 4517yuri Nice guy but only speaks Italian.

Detto are sized in Italian sizes and come up small compared to UK sizes. You can google a size comparison chart. I think 44 Italian is about 42 in UK.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
OldFrank":31xe54d5 said:
and where might i get shoes like that? What are those cleats called?

They are called 'shoe plates'. 'Cleats' is another Americanism which has infiltrated the European cycling vocabulary in league with 'clinchers' and 'Campy'.

In the (really) good old days you had to nail them on the bottom of your shoes, hoping to get them in the correct location in order not to ruin your knees by pedalling incorrectly. In the 80's, factory fitted versions were introduced attached generally by nutserts in the soles and allen key bolts for easier adjustment. Every shoe manufacturer had their own unique design of shoeplate and fitting and it was very difficult to get any compatability between brands. That is why you should always buy shoes from this era complete with the correct plates as finding seperate pairs of suitable ones is very difficult.

Have a look on Velobase website, there are some examples of older designs there. Here are some that I still have including a pair of 'Anquetil Long' in their original packaging. These are the 'nail-on' type - which were awkward to fit on shoes that had spring steel reinforcements through the sole.

Attachments

• ShoePlates.1.A.jpg
    ShoePlates.1.A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 403
Back