1981 Peugeot Record Du Monde

Lol... I thought you were on about the weight of the bike until I looked closer at the pictures and saw the background. I like to keep my weights routine simple.

Right, I spent a few hours yesterday polishing the brake levers and putting some new cork tape on the bars. I was going to wrap them in cotton then varnish them but I went for the cork in the end as I intend to ride the bike and I get hand pain quite a bit. I think the finished result looks pretty respectable..

le monde 16 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

I then stripped the rear wheel and polished it, not that it actually made much difference, but its done now and I cleaned the cassette when I was on.

le monde 15 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

All I'm waiting for now is the saddle and brake blocks to arrive and I need to polish the front brake calipers, wheel and hub.

Anyone know anything about tires? what decent 27" tires are available for road use?

Jas

schwalbe offer a couple of choices and then there is the World tour tyres

must admit bike does look great

Cheers Biggs682, I'm going to see how these tyres fitted handle. If they are rubbish I'll have a look at those world tour ones.

Post man came today. Leather lined brake blocks..

du monde 16 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

and my saddle from bikenut2010 arrived.. looks the dogs danglies on the bike I think :cool:

du monde 17 by vonhoolio, on Flickr
Just gotta polish the pedals and the front wheel then I can ride it :D

Re:

I've just picked one of these up from a skip (I asked permission).

Really interested in getting this back to some kind of order and finding out more information about it.

Did you get to the bottom of the age? 1981 or 1979? From the brochures (linked to in this post) the closest is a Champion Du Monde from 1980s: http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochure ... age_10.jpg. Even though the colourway and decals and specs are the same, the name is different enough to make me think it's either a different year or model.

Any info you can give me on it would be greatly appreciated.

after starting to lose the will to live searching for the right bike to restore & ride I bumped into an 1981 Peugeot Du Monde on ebay that seemed a good purchase. I'm not that fussed on the credibility of the tubing or the high end finishing kit as the bike is going to get well used, hopefully for L'Eroica next year if all goes well, and having the lightest steel frame isn't much of a concern for me at all. The listing said this:
Peugeot record Du Monde road racing / touring bike
in rare orange colour
Very Retro in very superp original condition
60cm frame
27 in wheels with 2 brand new never been ridden touring tyres
Weinmann alloy brake set
Atax stem
from 1981 in good condition for a 32 year old bike
10 speed Simplex gears with plunger front mech

The pictures looked clean...

le monde 1 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Le monde 2 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

So £137 later it arrives... wonderfully packed.. :LOL:

Le monde 3 by vonhoolio, on Flickr

Its in great condition. I'll take more picture tomorrow if I get the chance. I have no real idea about the bikes provenence, I'm just going to strip it, polish clean it, rebuild and stick a decent saddle & tires on it (keeping the rest as standard).

I'd love any info anyone can give me on it.
Jas
I have just aquired the same model of bike. The serial number is Y110 26545 and the white label underneath has number 1819510 H10E size 60cm. I would say that your model is about 5 models olde rthan mine. Perhaps they were made on the same day.

Back