1996 P7 update! 05/10/13

i thought i'd update this thread :D basically i finished this bike and rode it quite a bit but never got round to updating this thread. but then i stripped the bike after a winter isle of wight ride with makster and wutangled. the reason for stripping the bike was that it started to rust after the wet ride :(

after the ride i deliberately left it wet and dirty for a couple of days, sounds dumb doesn't it? but i wanted to see how much of an affect it would have on the finish. basically i started repolishing it, when i originally received it from Xioly he had started polishing it but i don't think he realised it was lacquered finish so his polishing took off some of the lacquer and then these areas started tarnish if left wet. my options were never take it out in the wet, polish it constantly and try and remove the rest of the lacquer so it didn't look patchy. after a while i got bored of polishing and dropped in at Argos cycles in bristol. i had spoken to these guys loads over the years when working for GA cycles, Mark and Tim said the best thing was for them to paint strip it and then use their little electric sort of sanding/scratching device then sticker and re-lacquer the frame.

i picked it up last wednesday as i dropped in the muddy fox for it's paint job (yet another project!! :oops: )

the stickers are from Gil M, and then the lacquer is on top. bearing in mind the frame was well used i think it has come up great, there are a few marks here and there but thats just tough luck as the couldn't be buffed out.

spec wise this bike had been built with shimano m737 xt, pretty much the whole bike, but i stole the guts of the gearset for the Proflex but that was running v brakes so this still kept the brakes and STI's etc. the wheels are xt on mavic 717, the tyres are maxxis high roller xc. To replace the parts that had been used on the proflex i decided to steal some bits off my E3, that bike is not running at the moment because the LH gear m900 shifter has died leaving the bike unrideable so i stole the chainset b/b and rear mech off it so that this could be finished. as and when i find another m737/9 chainset then E3 can get rebuilt back to it's former glory.

anyway here are some pics :D

Attachments

• p7 seat tube.jpg
    p7 seat tube.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 f7.jpg
    p7 f7.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 frame.jpg
    p7 frame.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 frame 2.jpg
    p7 frame 2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 764
more :D

Attachments

• p7 side view.jpg
    p7 side view.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 rear side.jpg
    p7 rear side.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 bar assembly.jpg
    p7 bar assembly.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 764
  • p7 orange logo.jpg
    p7 orange logo.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 764
thought i'd give this a little update, for reasons that will become obvious in a thread i will be starting soon ;)

i like this P7, it rides nice, it's comfortable and it's not far off the catalogue spec now, the only things that are not right is the maxxis tyres, the mavic 517 black rims and the grips, but the tyres and rims are a personal choice and the rims, well, i think the black looks good and i did source some NOS FIR Orange branded rims but they built up a bit dodgy as the eyelets were so weak that a couple started to crack through the rim surface immediately, so function over form was the way to go.

anyway, here's a couple of pics from tonight :D

P1120459 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120461 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i was having a few done at the time and supplied the frame ready to go so i got a bit of a deal at i think £60? which was less than they usually charge so if you want this doing expect a little bit more.

jonnyboy666":1zbrshh1 said:
i was having a few done at the time and supplied the frame ready to go so i got a bit of a deal at i think £60? which was less than they usually charge so if you want this doing expect a little bit more.

Thanks for that, I'm considering getting mine lacquered. I assume the decals were put on after the lacquer? I don't suppose that you can lacquer over them?

Doug

the stickers were from Gil, and they are under the lacquer this time, for durability reasons, the stickers themselves are not as thick as the original ones and i think they would have suffered hence being under the lacquer

jonnyboy666":ltrpp7e8 said:
the stickers were from Gil, and they are under the lacquer this time, for durability reasons, the stickers themselves are not as thick as the original ones and i think they would have suffered hence being under the lacquer

Ok thanks for that...my decals are not original but repros too...don't seem that thick either. So what would you think a single frame would cost?

Back