Titanium Handlebar -Titanium Stem Match ... Help Needed

Well it looks pretty. When I googled, you see a few failures and mostly people that say the thing is fine.

No doubt specialized made a ton of these things and a few failed, probably a low percentage. Still, I to would probably not use one on a bike I planned on riding hard. Its also not that light for a ti stem. The M2 stems are lighter. I use one of those on my trail bike and its great.

If I am feeling lucky I think I will take my Spinergy wheels and do some downhilling with this bike :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the bar. I am going to see what I can find of those.

Hi Jimi, I notice you have an Onza Aggro tyre on the front wheel. Do you have the matching amber wall Honch on the rear? I'm after a pair of those tyres and if you weren't too keen on them (I find people are a bit "marmite" with them) then i'd be interested cin giving them a new home! ;) I know that's a little bit cheeky but sometimes you just have to ask. :D

Greetings jimi911;
I've done some research during the past few days, and as a result, I wouldn't be concerned about your stem. I e-mailed an old mate of mine, who worked for a Specialized distributor, and he in turn e-mailed a chap who was a Specialized Tech. rep. during the 90's. He indicated the initial batch of stems were fabricated by a titanium company located near San Francisco with the rest supplied by a Tiawanese company. All the stems were investment pressure cast in a vacuum, which he indicated is the method used to cast titanium parts for the chemical and power industries. He further recalled only one law suit, and that was settled out of court. The handlebar face bolts were not properly tightened by the complainant. Sorry I took so long, but this had me concerned as well. Make certain all the fixing bolts are treated with copper-slip and tighten them properly. Take care jimi911
Regards

The response is from two chaps who are no longer employed by the distributor nor Specialized, and I believe haven't been for many years, I suspect they no longer give a s--t.

Attachments

• 006 (1024x768).jpg
    006 (1024x768).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 218
tatra":yc3e88h1 said:
Greetings jimi911;
I've done some research during the past few days, and as a result, I wouldn't be concerned about your stem. I e-mailed an old mate of mine, who worked for a Specialized distributor, and he in turn e-mailed a chap who was a Specialized Tech. rep. during the 90's. He indicated the initial batch of stems were fabricated by a titanium company located near San Francisco with the rest supplied by a Tiawanese company. All the stems were investment pressure cast in a vacuum, which he indicated is the method used to cast titanium parts for the chemical and power industries. He further recalled only one law suit, and that was settled out of court. The handlebar face bolts were not properly tightened by the complainant. Sorry I took so long, but this had me concerned as well. Make certain all the fixing bolts are treated with copper-slip and tighten them properly. Take care jimi911
Regards

:D Thanks! Good info there.

Back