Eroica's coming to the UK

Morning all,

The idea of this ride appeals to me but thr date does not suit at all - daughter's birthday etc etc BUT i was wondering, £70 seems a lot (too much) - is it possible just to join in? Is there someone who can stop you riding on the road - i am presuming that the roads will be closed and perhaps that is where the cost is but can you be forced to pay?

I am not encouraging anyone to do this, just interested in how the event runs as i have no experience of this at all (obviously!!).

Richard

Guys,my first thought was HOW MUCH! And then I got to thinking that travel costs to this will be a fraction of the continental events and as for the fear that this will be full of lycra clad Ruperts riding Fixies and Bromptons then if all us retro enthusiasts stay away that is exactly what it will become. So many of us have wished for such an event and it is disappointing that we appear not to be the target audience but maybe we should give this a chance? If enough of us turn up it might just become the event we have all wanted.

If the date was different i might have considered it but it would be a costly day with flights, road/train travel, accomodation and beer - oh, and food too plus £70. NOt much change out of £300 i would guess!!

Richard

p.s. still interested in just joining in!

To answer your question Richard; there is nothing to stop you joining in, provided the whole route is on public roads.

In theory you would not be able to use any of the feed stations or get an official time, but if the motivation was just to participate, then why not.

Regarding the price, I thought the same thing, that even with the exorbitant entry fee, it would be a lot cheaper than going to Europe. But, I also thought that same fee will probably put off a lot of European visitors from coming across, which would be a shame.

Given the popularity of sportives over here, and the success of L'Eroica (and others), I predict a growth in 'vintage' sportives in the UK, as at present it is a relatively untapped market.

For me it is a matter of principle. This people, whi I understand being the owners of a restaurant in Eccleshall road in Sheffield somehow got the franchise of the UK Eroica... fine.
Assuming they expect 1,000 people, that makes over 75,000 pounds revenue according to their pricing (only 500 pay 70).
The budget of the Dragon ride was along those figures when it was an event for around 2500 entrants and WAS RUN FOR PROFIT. So it is clear to me that this event too is run for profit, as there is no way in the world such an event costs 75,000 pounds to put together. Therefore I object and I am not interested, unless they come up with a damn good reason of why it costs 70 pounds... ie. if they decided to permanently signpost the route as they did in Tuscany, that would go some way towards making sense of it... but 70 pounds for some food and a goodie bag is a joke

I'll try and get to it even though the entry is steep. Be a shame not to fly the Retrobike flag.

Just to cheer matters up !!

It's £70 for the first 500 then it's £85 !!

It's typical of Britain, trying to squeeze as much cash as they can from as little as possible.

I might start a Norn Iron one!!! It will be cheap and verbal directions will be supplied!

Richard

vivelesalpes":2rvc3sza said:
Yes, It will be.

It's Gian and Marco of Nonnas / La Squadra who are the driving force behind it in conjunction with the Peak District National Park.

L'eroica is appealing because it's run in Italy, by Italians with a very Italian feel to it.
The Anjou Vintage Velo is, you've guessed it, in france run by french people - both have an authenticity to them.

Tyring to replicate this in Peaks is daft - La Squadra seem to think they're based in continental Europe....

Keep it authentic and local - no wine or crappuccinos.
Maybe some ale and cheese .
Get the guy from the yellow pages advert to do a guest appearance (i were right about that saddle)

Don't take the piss by charging people 85 quid to ride roads that are theirs anyway.

Ciao! :facepalm:

Back