threaded headset advice ...

johnv

Kona Fan
I'm mighty pleased with my most recent purchase (m series 'Dale from 1993). But as always there is something new to deal with and learn about ... :)

It seems to me that the headset that is fitted is just too "tall". There's just not enough stem sticking through for the lock nut to securely screw on to. The bike had been well used with this headset though. Seems like the threads on the stem seem fine but the bottom few threads on the lock nut (that were screwed on to the stem) are worn out.

I want to order a new headset, but want to make sure I order one that will fit the stem. What dimensions should I be looking out for, other than the usual 1 1/8th sizing etc?

Picture ...
20131005_172116_zps2b47d501.jpg

To me that looks like you have enough thread for a normal locknut. You could source a separate locknut if your current one has messed up thread. Otherwise, as mentioned earlier, go for a headset with a low stack height. Tioga Avenger headsets have an incredibly low stack height, they helped me to solve a similar issues as you currently face.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hunt around to see if I can dig out a thinner lock nut ... otherwise looks like I need to hit eBay (btw the current fitted unit has a large recessed washer about half the depth of the available thread)

Back