The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
rjsdavis":34gfkiky said:
WWC":34gfkiky said:
Thoughts on this team:

http://bit.ly/GAqylT

(Gary Fisher frame)

Back in the late 80's, this was the only bike I wanted more than one of the top Ridgeback's from the Freewheel catalogue! Haven't seen one as a built up bike in ages....

I suspect, that with a little handiwork that you could touch in the chainslap and chainsuck paint damage fairly easily, especially so as it's black paint and not a bright colour that you are touching in. There's a really nice example of touching in chainsuck damage on a Bontrager RaceLite in the Show us your Bonty's thread iirc. I'd probably leave the rest of the paint as genuine, age-related patina - would probably come up quite well with some light Autosol treatment - genuine factory paint always seems so damn tough and resilient compared to respray efforts from anyone. As long as it's not crash damaged, well worth a good look as genuine 80's frames don't come up very often!

Cheers dude, good price?

WWC":1pi9j0ty said:
Cheers dude, good price?

That's a super tough one to answer, as after a quick bit of googling, I couldn't find another one that's been up for sale anytime recently.

I suppose you could take the view, that because they don't seem to come up very often that the price is probably about right, but it's no doubt very much an emotional purchase and I guess it depends on how much you want it!

If you scan the seller's other auctions that have ended recently, they seem to have quite a bit of bike stuff from all era's - and they do take offers, so I'd defo be putting in offer to drop the price a bit. Why not start with £160 and see where you go? (if you actually want it of course!).

Solid input again.

Well it’s not a ‘do or die’ type buy.

I put a post up in the wanted section and this ticks the boxes I think:

‘I’ve done a couple of ‘if less is more just think how much more more would be’ builds and now I’m hankering after an actual less is more challenge.
I want to go British or US early rigid steel but really take my time over it.
I’m 5.10” so a little flexible on size.
Ideally nothing too run of the mill (I know this will cost more) but I can’t stretch to a Fat Chance!
Not looking for Kona, Marin, GT, Trek etc.
Probably talking around the £200 mark for frame and forks only.’

Anyway probably going off topic now…

Sounds like it might well fit the bill.... I can't see it being at all likely that you'd trundle past another genuine Fisher in the rest of your life whilst out on the trails.

I know exactly what you mean with wanting something different from the main retro crowds - I doubt I'll ever see another Rossin MTB in my entire life! Nothing like top quality early steel, and the real nice element of the early Fisher's is that the frame was one of the frames that got everyone MTB'ing in the 80's to begin with!

swannymere":3qc3ijp5 said:
Mate's 2001 (guessing year) Diamondback Topanga, 21", Gold, Shimano STX mix and in 8/10 condition. Any ideas of a value?

Not much at all - £50 on open auction on Ebay would be all I'd expect it to achieve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back