Deciphering Klein S/N

I think your hex theory is pretty convincing.

No pics as everything in storage at present, but my attitude would be #1365 of 1990 going on the serial number.

It's a 'K' then a BAT, which would give weight to your suggestion that new 'post-issue' 1990 frames went out in 'B' configuration, whereas ones already made / modified had the 'B' stamped retrospectively - ie. B'K'AT...

It has c/l cable entries, but I'm fairly sure it has a red seal BB, so probably another mongrel of some sort.

No idea of fork serial, but will check whenever next near the bike...

This is fun - however, has anybody thought to ask Gary himself to save conjecture...?

Cheers,
BB.

Gary confirms HEX going way back to the earliest times.

Just remember that the frame count would restart each year, so the frame prefix is important to keep in mind. Frame #1400 that starts with A is not Attitude #1400, but the 1400th Attitude made in 1991 and so on.

Most up to date write up here : http://www.secondspincycles.com/2013/10 ... itude.html

Now I need some 1993 Attitudes and some early 1994 Attitudes and Adroits.

Always need more MC1 Adroits.

Gary Klein
10:23 AM (0 minutes ago)

to me
Dear Martin:

Yes, I used Hexadecimal I think until Trek merger. As I recall, they did not see the beauty of it. In my opinion, using base ten is similar to using base 3 or base 7. It is arbitrary and computers do not like it. If we were from the octopus family at least we would be using base 8.

Gary

Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 10:02 AM
To: Gary Klein
Subject: Klein serial number

Here is a few of mine which I posted earlier in the year in another thread;

Backfire 91 Frame S.No. A3D9 White lettering with black shadow.
Box Fork S.No. A0316 Black lettering with white outline.

Dolomite 90 Fr. BAT3D9 Lettering solid black.
Box Fk. 5A67C Solid black.

Dolomite 91 Fr. A653 Wh. with black shadow.
Uni Fk. A0A36 Blk. with white outline.

Black 90 Fr. BAT703
Box Fk. 5A73F

I will add the rest some other time :)

1991 Attitude Flame Red no fork :( (but probably a box fork originally)

tty7.jpg
1l1l.jpg

That's 'Flare' red, not 'Flame', and if you want to swap your MC1 bar / stem combo give me a shout!

BB.

Back