Where is road traffic enforcement working?

Hmm interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a stat on numbers caught by camera and numbers caught by coppers.

Personally, I don't think cameras can ever replace coppers for catching properly dangerous drivers - we regularly travel to Bradford and, apart from the regular camera van on the M180, we rarely see a police car on the motorways, but we do see lots of really stupid driving.
And, driving past a local camera a couple of days ago, two drivers coming the other way both on their phones one of whom had the phone in one hand and some sort of paperwork in the other. I think he was steering with his chin. :facepalm:

Traffic enforcement's main goal is taxation. It has nothing to do with safety.

Just think, if we all stopped breaking the law by not speeding they wouldn't get any 'tax' from us. That'll learn 'em.

FMJ":1xenzmh3 said:

Maybe but it is entiirely voluntary - nobody is forced to pay if one does not get caught.

02gf74":31xwupop said:
FMJ":31xwupop said:

Maybe but it is entiirely voluntary - nobody is forced to pay if one does not get caught.

Problem here is that it's random and arbitrary (speed cameras were ruled an infringement of the Charter of Rights). The cops are given a minimum weekly "tax collection" quota. You can be doing 115 on the expressway in light traffic and get a speeding fine because the cop is idle and needs to hit his mark, yet be doing 130 with the flow of traffic when it's busier, and a cop at a radar trap won't even look up from his paperwork as everyone is flying by him.

FMJ":18yimh8u said:
I disagree with that! You drive safely and have consideration to other road users your licence will never be endorsed
but drive like James Bond and you will be hit with fines and points and this is a deterrent which works.

My brother used to drink drive and got caught! He lost his licence for two years and a £600 was slapped on him, He paid the fine and
sold his car, when his ban was up he got another car and never 'drink/drived' again so that learn't him a lesson the hard way.

Brother in law used to think double white lines mean't nothing on the roads and overtook on them when ever he
could, one day he over took on a brow of a hill on double white lines and there was a parked up traffic enforcement vehicle
just over the hill! He got three points on his licence but no fine. Brother in law after that never over takes on double white lines.

My sister went through some red traffic lights and she saw a ''flash-flash' in her rear view mirror! within weeks
she had a fine through the post with a nice picture of her car, she NEVER goes through red lights anymore.

There was only me who drove like a saint whilst on the road :roll: but now my family had learn't the hard way and for their actions now drive like royalty :|

Ian.

Ian Raleigh":3954mrep said:
FMJ":3954mrep said:
I disagree with that! You drive safely and have consideration to other road users your licence will never be endorsed
but drive like James Bond and you will be hit with fines and points and this is a deterrent which works.

LMAO! Take off the rose coloured glasses already!

Commuting on the expressway daily I see dozens of idiots cutting people off (without signalling), talking on phones, reading newspapers, tailgating, shaving, putting on makeup, etc. The ONLY people I see pulled over by the police are the people who commit Absolute Liability offenses (offenses to which there is no defense) like speeding and driving in the HOV lane with a single occupant. It's quick and easy money for the Province's coffers, unlike having to go to court (wasting valuable time that you could be out writing $peeding tickets) and prove someone committed an actual dangerous/stupid offense.

Sometimes stupidity can make you a safer person, by taking you off the road completely, bloke who's sis I once worked with was a general pillock on the road, speeding madly in town came over a hill, where lorries at the bottom often came out onto, going so fast over the hill by the time he saw the lorry he was under the thing, broke his neck, survived but I don't think he ever got back behind the wheel again, wheelchair maybe, I sound callous but well if that had been some kid walking across the road at the bottom of the hill?

Alison

Back