Ebay bidding, what do you favour

@daugs: I'm originally from the UK to clear that up first.

I don't think I've ever come across a seller from Denmark on Ebay. In Den Blå Avis the free ads, there is a verification process called nem id. where you can check the identity of the seller so the sale of second hand goods is regulated to a certain extent.

Don't get me wrong and think that I label all ebay sellers in my comments below.

A missrepresentation made by the seller is also a serious breach of contract and also contravenes the Distance Selling regulations. But by my past experience with a few ebay sellers and judging by other peoples comments on this thread dishonesty is commonplace.

It's the actions of previous ebay sellers that has led me to use this method and it's only something I've started to do after being mislead on a couple of high value items.

I like ebay as it is a good way of trading spares and bikes, but ebays buyer protection is useless, so this is what I do instead. I wish ebay was a bit more honest and to be frank I would rather buy from a forum like this one instead, where there is a certain amount of peer pressure to ensure the trades go well.

Plus, I always tell the seller that there is nothing to worry about if it all checks out. I'm very open about it as I've nothing to hide. I wouldn't bid for it if I didn't want it in the first place.

You are correct about enforceability of a contract but on ebay the contract between buyer and seller amounts to very little and some ebay sellers know and exploit this, as a buyer I know this too.

Some basic safety.
Photographs and messages through Ebay message service. Payment through Paypal Always.

If you have a problem with a seller on Ebay raise the case with Paypal and not Ebay as Paypal have a lot more clout when it comes down to the nitty gritty. Even though they are the same company.

To sellers: If you don't like my approach to buyer protection then tell me to sling my hook and I will, but you will have to cancel the trade first.

Blimey a thread which started out a good one nearly turned into an internet fight,
some need to chill out somewhat and 'bugoss' way of buying is a safe way
anyone who feels the need to be abusive on the net needs to have a good
wank or have sex with wife to relieve the tension you have built up.

Seems a bit selfish to me to agree to buy something before you've decided to buy it. Just ask the questions before you buy it.
Your aware that the seller pays 10% to eBay of the sale price?

Rampage":3v9ufhqw said:
Your aware that the seller pays 10% to eBay of the sale price?
I think we all now that! After all it is an auction site. I've know some local auctions charge 25% to the buyer & seller :(

daugs":2xiun13n said:
bugloss":2xiun13n said:
lewisfoto":2xiun13n said:
+1 on above

When you buy something on Ebay it is a contract which is enforceable in civil court by the way.

Besides as long as the seller has done his due diligence then waffling after the sale is rude at the very best and downright dishonest. In order for Ebay to work BOTH buyer and seller must take the transaction serious.

Steven

Do you live in fairy land ?

Try and take an Italian or American through the civil court when you live in Denmark.

You can block me too if you wish. I don't mind. :)[/quote

Bugloss, Nothing in your original post referred to differences between local and cross border transactions but rather a lack of regard for what is a contract - which it seems (rightly in my opinion) to have upset a few people, enforcability does not remove the fact that a contract exists, a lot of people will not deal with overseas buyers for this reason, and with an attitude like yours, is it a surprise ? Any difficulties that you may perceive is no excuse for advocating what amounts to breach of contract and maybe you should be a bit more precise, what's your excuse for messing people around who are selling to you in Denmark ?

Under English law it is not actually a contract, enforceable by anyone, until money actually changes hands. It doesn't have to be the full amount- a 1p deposit would suffice- but without monetary consideration, no contract exists!
I dare say it's the same in much of the world too.

I used to be a buyer for a very large construction firm.

The buyer pays the money and the buyer has a right to ask as many questions as they like and at any time during the deal that they choose until the buyer is 100% satisfied that they are getting what the seller has promised to deliver.

That's it. ;)

And thank you Ladies and Gentlemen of the audience. I hope it has been as entertaining for you as it has for me.

bugloss":65zlvcw1 said:
You can block me if you wish, my ebay name is adamw4656. Are you going to be brave enough to tell me yours so I can avoid what your selling ? As you sound like someone I'd rather not have to deal with.
I'm technodup everywhere. Brave as a lion, me.

Caveat emptor (look it up, if you don't know what it means).
Time wasting and patronising, eh?

Are you going to be big enough to apolgise, thanks.
Thanks for nothing. I stand by every word.

Look you two pack it in! If you don't I'll bang your heads together! I ain't no Lion but tough enough to hold you both together so close you could suck from the same dummy
smiley-char154.gif

You two need to give loves
smiley-hug001.gif

gee whiz. I was loving the original premise . It was a shame it descended into a bit of a ding dong

Back