Discs on a non disc frame...

sorry I said sub 1400 wheel, imeant sub 1400g wheelset..!

my 96 cross maxs come in around the 1500 a set mark , but now you can get sub 1400 29er wheelsets...

both a2z, hope and woodman did rear disk brake adapters, these usually needed fairly flat drop out areas and you'd need to see if they'd fit your bike. They usually included a torsion bar up to the cantilever mount, certainly the hope and woodman ones did. I used one of each on my bikes and they worked well in terms of adding disk brakes - hope brakes in my case. It has to be said tho, it did take longer to change a flat and was a bit of a faff, BUT the power of the disk brake we ace. I eventually got disk mounts added to the frames.

The obvious to me is upgrade the frame or have a Ti disk tab welded on the Hei Hei (which no doubt the majority of people here will disapprove). You could keep the existing braze on and use Avid BB7, or have an additional set for the hydraulic hose.

This frame is ~400g lighter than the Hei Hei and £299 with postage. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... -prod90001 from the hint on that page I found that it does look an awful lot like a BeOne carbon.

For my two pence worth, don't wreck an old frame trying to compete against modern tackle. I've ridden my '95 DBR Axis TT (titanium) in many races and often placed well but found the same as you, retro drivetrains are expensive and brakes become an issue. Running retro rims in wet, s****y conditions shortens the lifespan too. If you really want to stick with Kona titanium, the very last ti models did have disc brake mounts but the frames will be bloody expensive.

SP

Woz":30gpwmq3 said:
The obvious to me is upgrade the frame or have a Ti disk tab welded on the Hei Hei (which no doubt the majority of people here will disapprove). You could keep the existing braze on and use Avid BB7, or have an additional set for the hydraulic hose.

What he said ;-)

It's your bike and if you don't care what the retro mafia think :

DSC08795_zps9d875b27.jpg

Non relieved type is Ti :cool:

But don't do it, it will ruin the frame and you will burn in hell for your sins :-(

But at least I will have someone to talk to ... :LOL:

WD :D

To quote the greatest cooking programs, "here is one I made earlier" - or rather got from Paragon.

Complete with homemade jig out of an old multi-spanner and IS specifications.

Attachments

• Jig.JPG
    Jig.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 308
Just went through the same mental anguish with my '98 HeiHei, even went as far as buying full 2013 XT groupset with calipers, Hope disc hubs and an A2Z adapter. During the test build it became obvious that the A2Z is just a bodge / workaround 'solution', it's not a professional way to go. I also heard - and see - it rotates in reverse (i.e. stopping uphill). Not wanting to spoil the frame with tabs i've bought another set of non-disc hubs and gone for Maguras. I'd put all the disc bits up for sale but i don't think you'll want to pay the DHL costs...

Having fitted disks to my Explosif (the frame came with the rear mount already added...) I have to say I don't really see the advantage?

Buell reinvented the radial disk on their motorbikes and everyone raved about it; that's about as close to a rim break as you can get!

Beats rubbing a diddy set of pads against a squitty little disk...

Back