Powdercoat Question

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
I've just received a Cannondale frame that I won on eBay for 99p.

It's been stripped of paint and blasted with quite an aggressive medium that has left the surface rough.

Does anyone have experience of powdercoating over a surface like this?

Post a picture and someone will be able to tell, however from experience and seeing what goes through our powder booth at work, powdercoat is generally more forgiving on surface finshes than wet paint, as it tends to be thicker

A quick riub down with 800=>1000=>1200 wont hurt tho

G

can i ask how much is it to get it powder coated? looking for general idea of prices for frames

Quick rub down with 800 will be ok if you are worried

As for prices, check out the "recommend a paint/powdercoat" thread for ideas... but as the saying goes... you gets what you pays for!

It also depends on what you want them to do. Give them a fully prepped bare frame, with treads blanked etc, then it'll be a lot cheaper than a painted frame with dents that need sorting

I'm prepping the frame and filling the dents and worst bits of oxidisation myself. I just was wondering if the powdercoat would provide a smooth finish.

I've used some decidedly average places in the past so hopefully I'll find a good this time.

Dale cannon":12lylpkz said:
I'm prepping the frame and filling the dents and worst bits of oxidisation myself. I just was wondering if the powdercoat would provide a smooth finish.

I've used some decidedly average places in the past so hopefully I'll find a good this time.

Just be wary that some types of powder coat won't bond to some types of filler - check with your chosen coater what they recomend :D

WD :D

Dale cannon":2ioj6n31 said:
I've just received a Cannondale frame that I won on eBay for 99p.

It's been stripped of paint and blasted with quite an aggressive medium that has left the surface rough.

Does anyone have experience of powdercoating over a surface like this?

In my opinion, any blasted finish that didn't blow holes in a thin tubed ally frame (like yours) will cover ok with powder.

I think that second picture you linked to would cover OK with powder :D

WD :D

Don't worry my first Cannondale was just like that and the only problem area was between the seat stays at the top where the powder was a little thin.Powder coat is relatively so thick that it will cover most imperfections,so much so that on both my Cannondales (different powder coaters) I have had to initially use a long screw on the front derailleur to get it to wrap round the seat tube.

Back