Eroica's coming to the UK

I have seen the eroica britannia website... of course it will be a nice event and probably well organised and the route will be amazing etc. etc... however

1) 70 pounds is the entry fee for the quick ones, otherwise 85. The week before you can do the Retroronde in Belgium for 10 Euro and the following week you can do the Anjou velo Vintage for around 20 Euro I think. These are established events with a reputation and not a franchise of the real thing which could be good or could be a total disaster... how they came to the conclusion 70 pounds was an appropriate entry fee is a mystery.

2) to that you have to add accomodation, if you are not in the area... or you can pitch your tent for free if your back and the weather allows you. Accomodation in and around Bakewell is scarce and quite pricey in summer

Overall it seems too pricey for what is in essence a question mark and I think I will instead sign up for the Retroronde again, which is a stunning event and seems to be doing quite well even with a 10 Euro entry fee.

Disappointed at yet another bunch of profiteers of the bicycle world

A real shame as there was a flyer with the l'eroica sign on pack that got my interest but at that price - and £2,000 for corporate teams of 10 really gives things away - I'll be giving it a miss although I suspect I'm not the target audience so my lack of attendance will not be lamented.

As above, disappointed.

Ed,

I think we will be missed. I don't see it being a big hit on year one... better events with a stronger backing from the local community and a well oiled advertising machine in place only managed 500 entrants on year one.
Beside a few people who only recently got into cycling, everyone I know who has a passion for bicycles and period bicycles in particular is not here to splash big money to ride on public roads. The real Eroica was charging 15 Euro in 2010 when it was already the place to be seen and it had Moser and Hamspten riding it... it's only recently that they have gone mad charging more (but still not 70 pounds!). I don't know how these newcomers with an Eroica franchise badge can be so arrogant to charge 70-85 pounds on their first shot... they'll get the people they deserve, I suppose.

WOW! That's a disappointment, I have had the intention of attending this event for quite some time, but I wasn't expecting it to have a £70 price tag.

£70.00!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

I would have been quite keen to ride this at the equivalent costs of the Euro events - but not for this much!

They're havin' a larf - ain't they?

Do you get a free 'proper' jersey (not a T-Shirt), a cap, bidon, Derbyshire cheese, sausages and beer all included?

BTW, who is going to Retro Ronde next year. I've GOT to do it soon!

I knew it was going to be more than european events, that's always the case, as things are run for profit or charity, unlike in the continent, where they are run for fun.... but I was expecting 30-40 pounds, instead it's double that and it's ludicrous as it's got no pedigree...

We are in the process of deciding whether it is going to be the Retroronde or the Paris-Roubaix (the Roubaix velo club one) next year... they come back to back in June, so it's one or the other.

I can recommend the Anjou Velo Vintage too. it's a brilliant event and you get to cycle in the caves where they store wine

Old Ned":1zmoi5eg said:
Do you get a free 'proper' jersey (not a T-Shirt), a cap, bidon, Derbyshire cheese, sausages and beer all included?
From their website the cap is included plus food but hard to see where the cost goes compared to other events. Will probably just ride HoNC on a vintage cross bike instead, £15 including top quality bread pudding.

ugo.santalucia":1zmoi5eg said:
We are in the process of deciding whether it is going to be the Retroronde or the Paris-Roubaix (the Roubaix velo club one) next year... they come back to back in June, so it's one or the other.

I can recommend the Anjou Velo Vintage too. it's a brilliant event and you get to cycle in the caves where they store wine

Paris-Roubaix is very good and well worth doing for the Arenberg, Carrefour and circling the track at the end. I went semi-Retro on a 1991 Zullo, down tube shifters and all, and felt at no disadvantage. The bouncing about pumped up my guns nicely too, I've never looked so ripped. But, for the full retro atmosphere, the RetroRonde takes some beating, I was even planning on returning to the area at the end of October to do some riding, visit the RvV museum (three visits to Oudenaarde and the closest I've got is drinking beer in the museum bar with Freddy Maertens present) plus, obviously, beer and frites. Perhaps we can get a Retrobike contingent together in Kluisbergen?

The Anjou Vintage Velo appeals too, got to get that on the calendar before it becomes a global brand like l'eroica........

Just had a bit more of a look at the website and found the Festival section enlightening:

Our festival is:
- interactive
- a platform for selling and promotion
- inspiring yet accessible
- desirable yet attainable

There was me thinking that it was a bike ride - why would I want to pay to attend " a platform for selling and promotion", particularly as I'm not entirely sure what it means (read as: I'm pretty sure that I know exactly what it means but surely I have misunderstood?).

That is a fine bit of marketing speak.

I have done a fair bit of professional writing in my time, including advertising copy, and although I understand each of those words individually as a whole that description appears to mean absolutely nothing at all.

Why not just write in plain English?

I live in Chesterfield and I am a member of the VCC,I can go on as many VCC 'runs' with loads of real vintage bikes for around £22 a year, The event is WAAAAAAAAY over priced I for one will not be attending maybe at half the price but not at £70!
pity too I have a stable of around 16 classic/vintage bikes dating back to around 1927 including a few real beauties...one for the 'fixie' crowd no doubt but then again given the hills maybe not!!!

Back