Avid Elixer 3 users ??

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi

I took my modern Giant Terrago 2007 into my LBS to bleed the rear brake, its a new Avid Elixer 3, are there any users of this type of brake ?

I have a slightly silly question, the brake works well (and seemed to when I tried them in the shop) BUT now after pulling the brake until the wheel stops completely (about 2cm of lever travel) you are then able to keep pulling the brake until it hits the grips.

This cant be right surely, with the original brake on the front once the wheel has stopped the lever cant be moved anymore.

Am I right or is this a characteristic on newer brakes :facepalm:

Scarfacexxx08":1ke4mr3g said:
They didn't bleed them well, sounds like there's air still stuck in the brakes!

That's what I thought, I just wanted to double check before I run in there tomorrow and have a wee moan - Thanks :)

Yeah, they've made a mess of it. Just nipped downstairs to try the Elixir 3s on the lady's bike, and they work beautifully, so nothing wrong with the product.

Regards

Exeter Man":35sr7j93 said:
Yeah, they've made a mess of it. Just nipped downstairs to try the Elixir 3s on the lady's bike, and they work beautifully, so nothing wrong with the product.

Regards

suburbanreuben":2ml8o6mu said:
Aren't Avids infamous for this, needing bleeding every 5 minutes?
I've seen plenty of people complain about them on the internet (and every other brand), but I've had no issues. Elixir Rs on mine, and 3s on the missus' (admittedly hers spends 99.9% of its time 'resting' ;)).

I shortened the hoses on my Elixir Rs maybe about a year ago, then bled them, and they haven't missed a beat since.

Regards

suburbanreuben":3u0uh2os said:
Aren't Avids infamous for this, needing bleeding every 5 minutes?

I got them fitted because they old Giant MPH brakes are notorious for the knurled adjustment part seizing up, the Avids have been on for a year but i have not used the bike since then so ill wait and see before i comment :(

Avids are fine, but they need bleeding properly. Its very easy to leave air in the hoses. But once done you shouldn't have a problem.

Back