Ebay bidding, what do you favour

John":3juq77jf said:
FYI the site relies on revenue from ebay (and other advertisers) to survive. Using a sniper = no revenue.

Just sayin'.

I sometimes use a sniper, how does it not make the site revenue?

oops,

That was me cleaning my keyboard and I must have some how hit the wrong key?

Yes! I figured it out tab+return submits what ever is in the box.

I sometimes use a sniper, how does it not make the site revenue?

Or to reverse that how exactly does the site make revenue..?

If I go directly to eBay, without following a link from here and make a bid - surely there is no kickback for RB...

If you can clear this up John, I'll try to modify my ebay behaviour for the benefit of the site!

i just bid my max amount with 10 seconds to go like most people, im not for all of this getting to know you stuff, just bid, win, pay, get stuff. if i lose out i lose out if i wanted it that badly i would have bidded more. Im using gumtree a lot more these days (yes i know it can be dodgy) but i have had some good bargains without the grief of shill bidding or waiting 5 days for the auction to end.

Tried my usual method last night, someone had bid the start price about an hour before the auction end, I bid 30 seconds before, was the highest bidder until in the last seconds some 'sniper' beat me at my own game for a change :(

I was a little sad, logged onto Retrobike and managed to find what I was looking for on here anyway :cool:

If it boils down to getting revenue by clicking links from this site to ebay then you could write a script to trawl the threads and click on all the links during the middle of the night, every night of the week in perpetuity.

How long do you think you'd stay on ebay's affiliate system if you tried that? Clue: Not long :)

bugloss":189fzhkm said:
If it's a "buy it now" and I really want it, I buy it but don't pay until the seller has answered all my questions and sent through a detailed set of high res photographs, which I take my time going over. I only pay when I'm satisfied that I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

"Buy it now" means exactly that. If you want to satisfy yourself that something is as described, do that first. If someone did a "buy it now" and then started asking questions and requesting more photos, I'd tell 'em to stick it. Especially if they "took their time". That's time during which someone else could have bought it without dicking about.

Answering questions and supplying more photos and information is of course absolutely fine. But as a prelude to bidding/buying, not afterwards.

Never been told to stick it and never backed out of a buy it now. Had a problem with some Italian chaps and if I hadn't had asked for the extra pictures and posed all of the questions, then my claim for compensation for the damaged wheels and scratched paint would not have been as easy as it was.

I wasn't prepared to send the bike back as I would have had to pay for the freight which is a lot of money from here to Italy. Which is ebays' standard response to a dispute.

Damage that was not evident in their ebay photographs at the time of purchase and difficult to see in any other of the photos too.
But then if you don't like it then you're welcome to tell me to "stick it" if you like. Not all ebayers are totally honest and if you believe they are then you're naive. When I'm spending over €900 on a bike I'll make sure its what it should be before I pay and I don't really mind if they don't like doing the extra legwork.

It's my money and I am the customer after all.

Back