Deciphering Klein S/N

Attitude from who knows, but it has a box fork

Frame - bat90d
Fork - 5a8d possibly. A bit hard to make out

Attitude sitting in a box in bubble wrap

Frame - ab19
Forks - RockShox

I do have another couple, but they are in other countries. They both have UniKleins

I have a 1990 XL 22" with embossed headset seal.

I read the frame serial number as BAT40A6. The '6' at the end looks like it is not stamped, but done by hand and may be a 'b' marking relating to the head tube boring method? An earlier post in this thread mentions they had head tube bore dimension issues on some earlier frames? This frame also has the seat tube decal from the batch with the USA flag in mirror image.

I think the original owner bought it new in the UK with full dark grey campag Centaur build. The original fork cracked but I still have it and will try and retrieve the serial number.

bat40a6":2c9rbyzb said:
I have a 1990 XL 22" with embossed headset seal.

I read the frame serial number as BAT40A6. The '6' at the end looks like it is not stamped, but done by hand and may be a 'b' marking relating to the head tube boring method?

Can you send a good photo of your serial number please? I have yours in my database, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Too many numbers.

I think the serial number is BAT40A the mark at the end is indicating something else or is just some Klein randomness.

The original fork, now broken is 5A71D
On the bike now and holding up well is 5A718
Spare waiting to be deployed is RA118

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 602
Looking at the picture now, could it be half a stamped Klein K emblem????

Not that this stuff is important at all..... :facepalm:

Yep, that's BAT40A (K) <- that's the Klein logo

So frame #1034 and original fork #1821, replacement fork #1816.

I heard from a ex-Klein employee that the BATxxx serials were for headtube that had to be modified in some way? I can't quite remember what he said, I am trying to find his email.

mkozaczek":1ey39e0o said:
24pouces":1ey39e0o said:
mine :
Frame S/N (under BB or rear dropout) : BAT4BC
Fork S/N (on back of dropout) : I have to look…

Fot the year, I'm 99% sure it's a 1990 ;)

Correct, mid 1990 frame #1212

Cooool !! :cool:

But what do you think when you find #1212.
Is it the 1212th Klein frame welded or only the 1212th attitude ?

Back