Help - will someone please stop me buying..................

Re: Help - will someone please stop me buying...............

andyz":13prfofp said:
Koupe":13prfofp said:
Subaru Forester Turbo. It's an Impreza in overalls and sensible boots.

Brilliant car! I have the non-turbo, which is fast enough for the congested South East.

We've been snowed-in the last 2 winters and I ended up ferrying the locals around as they couldn't get their silly-tyred Range Rovers out of their parking places!

2.0l nat asp is completely unburstable. I had a 95 impreza mot failure as a field car a few years back, it was completely abused for 12 months off road, used as a quad bike. There was not a straight panel on the car when I had done and no brakes or exhaust system, due to underbody damage. Final straw was hitting a hidden boulder in rushes which pushed the rad and front x member up into the engine and wounded the sump. It still drove a mile back to the farm though.

andyz":35wdqrrn said:
Koupe":35wdqrrn said:
Subaru Forester Turbo. It's an Impreza in overalls and sensible boots.

Brilliant car! I have the non-turbo, which is fast enough for the congested South East.

We've been snowed-in the last 2 winters and I ended up ferrying the locals around as they couldn't get their silly-tyred Range Rovers out of their parking places!

Silly tyred Range Rovers - I completely and utterly fail to understand why folk do that. Apart from looking ridiculous they seem to contradict the reason for the car existing. There's one in town here, top spec and very shiny, but the tyre walls must be all of 2" deep on colossal shiny rims :LOL:

Sub Forestor Turbo - hmmmmm - good reviews, decent performance and cheap - looked at a few but don't know if I can live with the looks, tart that I am. Certainly couldn't deal with the non-turbo version :facepalm:
Still on the possibles list though.

Think its now a decision between Disco/Hilux/Forestor/Legacy out of which the Toyota prob wins on reliability count. Why do Land Rover build so many faults into their designs??? :evil:

Forester turbo with a remap gives you 280 bhp, improved fuel consumption and is a real q car - who gives a damn what it looks like?

Love my forester and am loath to swap but xtrail seems a better bet long term.

I wouldn't rule out a Pajero. You will get a lot more for your money than with a Toyota. Our two have cost buttons to maintain the last few years. If you get an older one you have sliding rear windows ideal for the dogs. Very reliable motors, there are all sorts of jokes about Land Rovers told, but they are of course exceptional off road. I just can't live with the agricultural ride though, so a Disco rather than a Defender would be my pick were I forced.

The Mitsis handle well, do off road well if a little less articulation than ideal, and are very comfy with suspension heated seats and air con. Ours are very retro too! :)

highlandsflyer":n75bypqn said:
I wouldn't rule out a Pajero. You will get a lot more for your money than with a Toyota. Our two have cost buttons to maintain the last few years. If you get an older one you have sliding rear windows ideal for the dogs. Very reliable motors, there are all sorts of jokes about Land Rovers told, but they are of course exceptional off road. I just can't live with the agricultural ride though, so a Disco rather than a Defender would be my pick were I forced.

The Mitsis handle well, do off road well if a little less articulation than ideal, and are very comfy with suspension heated seats and air con. Ours are very retro too! :)

Yes you have to be a fan to own a defender or like me you need something that you can climb into with wellys and full waterproofs on covered in mud n poo, complete with filthy dog, then at the end of the week just hose it down inside and out. They are great off road, till they breakdown, then you have to ring your customer to come with a tractor to recover you ( flipping hilux owner so I got some earache)

Now narrowed down to:

Disco TD5 of approx 2002/2003 vintage. Possibly older if in very good order.
Forestor Turbo, similar age
Hilux from mid - late 90s

Not looking to spend loadsa money as I have "other" cars - this is really just a snowmobile :xmas-big-grin:

Our neighbours just plonked a large amount of money on a Range Rover Evoke and its barely reaching 29mpg - less than the TD5 they traded in...

legrandefromage":2q2m0s8a said:
Our neighbours just plonked a large amount of money on a Range Rover Evoke and its barely reaching 29mpg - less than the TD5 they traded in...

This I truly don't get. If somebody is spending a shedload of money on a car - why the feck do they care about fuel economy that much?

Exactly! When my wife bought her bimmer my cousin's hubby had to one up us and get a new one of the same model, but we were using it for 30k+ while he was doing less than 5k a year, so he would have been much better off with the petrol model. He was never going to recoup the added cost over the three years he kept it.

Just seems that fuel economy is some kind of perverse justification to some people, or yet another bragging point about a new motor.

Back