Help - will someone please stop me buying..................

Re: Help - will someone please stop me buying...............

The History Man":1emuwfw5 said:
Thread hijack but have been offered a free xtrail diesel to replace Subaru. About the same age but had very gentle mileage with no off road at all, unlike forester which goes off every day. Inlaws are giving up driving at Xmas.

Worth the swap? Don't know anything about them. Had a few nissans and found them to be bland but very reliable.

The X trail is roomier and more economical and is free. However you won't get much for the Subaru.

In terms of adverse weather ability, my aged parents live on a Lake district Hill Sheep farm and their X trail is they have never been stuck. However they always extend the warranty and have always needed it.

Xtrail has a Renault diesel engine... Renaults of the last ten years seem to suck.

Disco td5 probably not bad as long as you don't mind constant faults and you might spend as much time on it as the retro bikes. I have a 2006 td5 defender which is in constant need of attention. A failed injector and a failed fuel pump have been the major jobs this year (£700 worth of parts) then lots of little problems that I can sort. Mrs Grumpy had a diesel forester and it had constant problems with the injectors which Subaru bodged every time it went back under warranty. We got rid of it before end of warranty. Jeep parts used to be stupid expensive when we had a 96 year grand Cherokee. We have had a few Grand vitaras and they were never any bother.

I have been looking (just looking mind you!) at the Fiat Sedici/ Suzuki SX4 diesel - running the same engines as my two Doblos, hatchback, selectable 4x4 and up to 49mpg

Farm next door has a fiat sedici, they have had it 5 years and it had been faultless, until a ecu problem this year which the fiat dealer could not fix! They made it worse to the point where it would not start, they eventually sent it to Suzuki dealer who fixed it.
Our grand vitara had a 1.9 diesel Renault engine, I could be wrong but I think sx4 is Renault as well, that's why fiat dealer couldn't fix neighbours car.

Its Fiats own version as the Sedici is built side by side to Suzuki. The JTD 1.9s seem to be unburstable while the rest of the car is made of foil and icing sugar...

No Renault engines were harmed in the making of Fiats, Suzukis, Saabs etc.

*Edit - the old Vitara diesels seem to be Peugeot.

Subaru Legacy or whatever is modern equivalent, probably the Forester I suppose as some others have mentioned...

Best cars I ever EVER had, lived in sticks, lots of snow, ice, mud...crap MPG but trust me you won't care. Jap reliability. Just smashing! :cool:

Koupe":37l19gdt said:
Subaru Forester Turbo. It's an Impreza in overalls and sensible boots.

Brilliant car! I have the non-turbo, which is fast enough for the congested South East.

We've been snowed-in the last 2 winters and I ended up ferrying the locals around as they couldn't get their silly-tyred Range Rovers out of their parking places!

legrandefromage":3gzkwhpl said:
Its Fiats own version as the Sedici is built side by side to Suzuki. The JTD 1.9s seem to be unburstable while the rest of the car is made of foil and icing sugar...

No Renault engines were harmed in the making of Fiats, Suzukis, Saabs etc.

*Edit - the old Vitara diesels seem to be Peugeot.

2008 vitara was definitely a Renault engine as it was stamped on engine castings, you're right about fiat diesel in sx4 though

andyz":1zousvue said:
Koupe":1zousvue said:
Subaru Forester Turbo. It's an Impreza in overalls and sensible boots.

Brilliant car! I have the non-turbo, which is fast enough for the congested South East.

We've been snowed-in the last 2 winters and I ended up ferrying the locals around as they couldn't get their silly-tyred Range Rovers out of their parking places!

Can i ask what are they like on petrol ?

:)

Back