yeti fro, new project ....now rebuilt....

Re: yeti fro, new project

Retro Spud":2mlmqox9 said:
yeti-man":2mlmqox9 said:

+1

Martin
Have you made your mind up on the colour yet ?

you're right about the FTW ATAC stem looking more at home on an ARC, that less porky snorkel will look great on your FRO.

Hello Nick.

Hope you are well.

Im going to do the frame forks & stem black, the decal i have for the head tube is designed for a black frame, if i do go for it, all the components will be silver..

The only other colour way i had in mind would be to match it to my ultimate..

I will let you know what i go with..

Having decided to do this fro all black with silver parts, ive now finished the stem.

The stem on my ultimate was repainted back in 93, originally it would have had 'yeti cycles' on each side,
( just like the one on 'mr ships' beatifully rebuilt ultimate )..
At the time i made my own decals. not to everyones liking ive decided to do the same with this one. ( white fablon )... i think it works well and stands out.

Hope you like :

original FTW stem by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Just been examining this bike, trying to see if i can date it..
While i was doing some research, i came across a few people asking questions about accutrax forks on various forums. Mainly asking, what is the difference between the early yeti forks and the answer versions !
One of the differences ( amongst others ) is the closing plate at the bottom of the fork legs, early ones being cut from solid rod, answer versions being just plate with a breather hole which was later welded up.

The forks on this fro, look like answer versions, drop outs, curve of top part of legs etc, but the closing plate is different to both types, it does not have the saw marks that the yeti made forks had, nor does it have the welded up breather holes ! could these be very early answer forks ?

yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

The "Yeti" fork had a shallow-er fork leg bend and Campy dropouts.

Disregard the decal placement on this, but here is a good photo of the difference. Yeti fork right, Answer Accutrax left

Campy drops

The rub is that a lot of post-license forks were made by Yeti, some with wide bends, some with shallow bends. For example, I've owned "shallow-bend" forks with laser-cut dropouts. So the only real way to tell if it's a pre-license fork is the campy dropouts. The picture above is an accutrax.

ridevintagemtb":1lye4pdg said:
The "Yeti" fork had a shallow-er fork leg bend and Campy dropouts.

Disregard the decal placement on this, but here is a good photo of the difference. Yeti fork right, Answer Accutrax left

Campy drops

The rub is that a lot of post-license forks were made by Yeti, some with wide bends, some with shallow bends. For example, I've owned "shallow-bend" forks with laser-cut dropouts. So the only real way to tell if it's a pre-license fork is the campy dropouts. The picture above is an accutrax.

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the above, brilliant picture's.., and very nice to hear some info coming from durango :)
I wish i knew more about this bike.., after looking at all the design changes, and when they accured, i can only assume that this is a 1990 model like my ultimate...
One day i will come over to durango with either my ultimate or fro, its a must for me, to take at least one of them around your local trails...
Again, many thanks
Martin

No problem buddy, what's the serial number from the BB shell? Yours looks identical to my old one which I called a 91. 1.25" headtube, seat collar, welded cable guides all say 90-91.

If you plan a Durango trip, let me know. We'll go beat on some old Yetis.

ridevintagemtb":32wci9ar said:
No problem buddy, what's the serial number from the BB shell? Yours looks identical to my old one which I called a 91. 1.25" headtube, seat collar, welded cable guides all say 90-91.

If you plan a Durango trip, let me know. We'll go beat on some old Yetis.

WOW...what a view....,

That bike , that photo......, stunning.., so yes, i will be giving you a call when i do come over... thanks for the offer, one i could never refuse...! my bike deserves it , after all these years...
I wont want to come back here :D

The frame number on my bb is pretty hard to make out, its a 3 digit number, starting with 92, cant make out the 3rd number..., it could be a 6..., but cant be fully sure..
I know once i carefully remove the paint it will be able to see it.

At the moment im just collecting new parts.

Again, thanks for the brilliant info...

Martin

PS, your old fro looks fantastic..

bmx4130crmo":3gmvw3ur said:
maybe you get here an answer about your fork, or not ....

viewtopic.php?t=132331

Hi,
Thank you for that link.
Again , some brilliant picture's, Especially the one of the closing plate with saw marks... on the yeti made forks.

I think i can now safely say , Mine are definately answer forks, they just dont have the welded breather hole..

Bye for now.

Martin

I cannot wait to see this build come together matey. Ill pull up a chair and wait for the next update :cool:

Back