What Nishiki(?) is this? E-stay content

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Come on then combined retrobike brainpower - what
is it? Cascade? Ariel? Alien? A Nishiki at all (certainly looks like one!)?

And is that (whatever it is) a good thing?

Doesn't feel too heavy but no superlight. I forgot the tap test but I assume it's butted cromo.

The first pic below is from the eBay ad and the second is what lrh thinks it is (after some excellent digging - not sure I'd ever have found out otherwise as they seem pretty obscure) but others have made other suggestions in this post

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=272483

lrh":3eyl1ggj said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Bike ... 1283052666

$(KGrHqZ,!lwFI2IS,5BbBSP0CLkchw~~60_12.JPG

P1310192.jpg

Just picked it up and taken these pics:
DSC_1361_zps73b68c8d.jpg

DSC_1360_zps6d7647ed.jpg
DSC_1359_zps97234d76.jpg

DSC_1358_zps281da647.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: What Nishiki is this?

I just remembered; it could also be a Nishiki Ariel LTD. They came in fluoro yellow like the Nishiki Cascade, but yours looks more like a school bus yellow. Maybe it's been baked by the sun's UV rays over the years? Perhaps a bit of rubbing compound and some elbow grease would reveal the true color?

Attachments

• Ariel LTD Small.jpg
    Ariel LTD Small.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,841

Aah, forgot to mention, the frame was resprayed, seller said, with actual JCB paint. A pretty good job far as I can see.

No obvious sign of original paint but I forgot to have a really good look.

Quite glad its not fluoro!

Wish i had those straight, tapered forks though!

Trebz on here has a lovely 1990 Ariel which is lugged and doesn't have the wishbone seatstays but the Ariel and Ariel ltd posted by Incorrigible do have the wishbone so perhaps mine is slightly later than Trebz' and is one of those. Would they share a frame? And how would it compare to Alien or Cascade?

Just had another look - doubt mine''ll turn out that nice!

How does it ride?

Anyone used a sus fork on one? I'll need to get either that or a quality aftermarket fork I think. Or maybe something like a P2

Anyone have any idea on the possible age range? I'm thinking just 91-2. It's got a few variations on trebz' 1990 - all three cables along top tube as well as no seat-tube lug.

There's no cable-stop canti-hanger so I'm assuming the noodle covers that function?

Hi mate
you did well there to grab that one ! i work in Portslade and i kept looking at it thinking " i really should bid on that " but cant justify another project lol !
look forward to seeing this one :D
Paul.

Haha you and a few others I think, I was surprised to get it and the seller was a bit miffed: '14 watchers!'

I felt for him, he must have been expecting some snipe bids at the end, as I was.

Mine rides very well, I took it to the Peaks national ride last month, it did very well considering the terrain. It handled the downhill sections very well and, when my legs managed to keep up, it ate up the climbs.

I'm thinking of selling it, I'm just working on a sensible asking price. I mat have to split it and sell it off as components however as it's worth far more when broken.

Trebz":2qogytav said:
I'm thinking of selling it, I'm just working on a sensible asking price. I mat have to split it and sell it off as components however as it's worth far more when broken.
I'd love to own it, at least the frame and forks, but from the link in your signature, I see that azaro expressed interest first. Perhaps I could have dibs if he declines?

Back