1988 Saracen Blizzard

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
In the absence of the 1988 Saracen catalogue, I only found out about the Blizzard a few weeks ago when one appeared on ebay. Then a second one was posted up in the Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous thread by Antstark. He said that he'd only bought it for the front brake so I sent him a PM to see what he was doing with the rest of the bike.

So a couple of weeks later, with help from Jonnyboy666, I picked up a 'rolling chassis' ie everything minus the crank-set, rear mech, brake levers, shifters, tyres and saddle.

I had intended to build it up with some a nice period correct Deore MT-60 six speed groupset which I had already gathered together over the past few years.
Then Antstark sent me a scan from MBUK showing the original spec. I checked my parts collection and it turned out I had most of an Exage Mountain groupset, which for some reason included two U-brakes and two front mechs.
They weren't even required though as frameset I'd bought already had the U-brake and front mech fitted. I seem to have unwittingly accumulated a surplus of M450 parts...

Anyway, suffice to say the MT-60 can wait for another bike and I've gone with Exage Mountain for this 1988 Blizzard. The headset and non cartridge bottom bracket are original and still in good condition. Surprisingly, the BB cups weren't even seized into the BB shell, so it's all been cleaned and regreased.

So here are some photos from a little test ride this afternoon.

Blizzard01.jpg

1988 Saracen Blizzard - complete with colour matched reflector brackets

Blizzard02.jpg

Proper late eighties graphics and colour scheme

Blizzard03.jpg

Blizzard16.jpg

Blizzard17.jpg

Blizzard23.jpg

Blizzard21.jpg

Tange MTB Double Butted tubing

Blizzard04.jpg

Colour matched Saracen bottle cage

Blizzard05.jpg

Exage Mountain M450 front mech

Blizzard13.jpg

Exage Mountain Biopace chainrings

Blizzard06.jpg

Battered Shimano 18 speed SIS chainstay decal

Blizzard07.jpg

Exage Mountain M450 rear mech

Blizzard08.jpg

Shimano rear mech guard and solid axle Exage Mountain rear hub

Blizzard09.jpg

Six speed Uniglide cassette

Blizzard10.jpg

Exage Mountain M450 front hub

Blizzard12.jpg

Araya rims

Blizzard11.jpg

"He'll grow into it" seatpost markings. The head of the post is also colour matched in white

Blizzard14.jpg

Exage Trail M350 pedals

Blizzard15.jpg

Exage Mountain M450 combined shifters and brake levers

Blizzard18.jpg

Exage Trail M350 front cantilever brake - fitted with modern pads - rear brake is an Exage Mountain U-brake under the chainstay

Blizzard19.jpg

Colour matched goose neck stem and steel bars

Blizzard20.jpg

Front brake stem roller

Blizzard22.jpg

Fitted with Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tyres and a re-covered Turbo saddle

I finished building this up today and took it out for a ride this afternoon. The first thing that I liked was how much this bike looks like my old 1988 Peugeot Ranger, my first mountain bike way back in 1988. The goose neck stem, long wheel base and ride position felt very familiar and comfortable.

It certainly has patina and I will sort out some of the worst areas of rust, but I doubt it will get a full restoration.

In short, I really like it.

-----------------------

Original spec taken from MBUK Volume One - Issue One.

Blizzard-spec.jpg

Gravy Monster":19eidn65 said:
Very nice Paul, I likey , There was one in Bristol recently but was huger than huge, yours looks spot on :cool:

Oh good grief, the Apollo Blizzard, I'd forgotten about that horror.

The nice thing about this one is that, at 20 inches, the frame fits me perfectly unlike the huge 1987 Tufftrax that I will probably never get built up.
Next in line for completion should be that 1991 Trekker Hydrotech I picked up from you James quite some time ago.

I'm determined to get some more build threads finished and linked up to my signature.

Wow i'd forgotten about the Saracen Blizzard and yours looks great so what you gonna do about the rust as id be tempted to use either some kurust or Hammerite smooth and tbh i've still never seen a Blizzard in the metal as i use to own a yellow 87 Trekker which was a fun bike to chuck around as that was 17" if i remember rightly and a 19" would of been the proper size for me lol .

drystonepaul":1da2ubrr said:
Next in line for completion should be that 1991 Trekker Hydrotech I picked up from you James quite some time ago.

Ahhhhhh which reminds me ..... I found the other black LX crank arm, you must have the lot for the bike now ;)

Muddy paw":1tddy93i said:
Wow i'd forgotten about the Saracen Blizzard and yours looks great so what you gonna do about the rust as id be tempted to use either some kurust or Hammerite smooth and tbh i've still never seen a Blizzard in the metal as i use to own a yellow 87 Trekker which was a fun bike to chuck around as that was 17" if i remember rightly and a 19" would of been the proper size for me lol .

I was thinking of Kurust on a larger section of bare and rusty metal under the downtube. For everything else it'll probably be a rub down and touch up with something like Hammerite.

Gravy Monster":1tddy93i said:
Ahhhhhh which reminds me ..... I found the other black LX crank arm, you must have the lot for the bike now ;)
James that would be great. Just need a crankset and BB to finish it.

That looks nice, some interesting touches.
I dig the 80's decals, and the front brake cable roller is :cool:

I'm no Saracen expert, but it's weird that up until a month ago I hadn't even heard of the Blizzard and then there were two on eBay in the space of a month!

Anyway, I really like the look, it seems in pretty good nick too. The decals are brilliant as they were for all in that era, the colour with the pink bottle cage as well is ace.

The upright stem looks great with the roller too, imagine the front end is eager to pop up.

Really nice addition to the fleet.

Very nice, looks a nice comfy riding position too , and that roller on the stem is sooo good :D
Paul

Back