Pedals with toe clips - What shoes do you wear?

For the last couple of years I have been using a pair of black Clarks casual trainer type things that actually look pretty much like 'classic' touring shoes with the added bonus that they are easy to walk in, I suppose that the soles may be a bit too flexible but they are fine for me. But yesterday I flashed out on a pair of Quoc Pham Fixed which were a bit spendy but I have coveted a pair for while now, and it was my birthday and so on...further justification provided on request; anyway I'll let you know.

On the Rapide - these

With -

As per this pic -

29 years ago.

The shoes are still in reasonable condition and i bought new plates recently for about £11, unlike me who is not in reasonable condition and spares are unavailable/obsolete!

Richard

I've been searching the bay for a couple of days and it is supprising how many pairs of old racing / touring shoes are there.

Currently there are none in my size. :evil:

I'll keep watching.

Nice shoes Richard. ;)

If you are looking for larger sizes (like me) it is a nightmare - it would appear that in retro days people had dainty size 7's unlike my modern 11's!!! And the sizing is really a lottery - if i see a pair that might fit me, I will message the seller and ask for measurements with a ruler and I would never rely on the marked size.

Richard

Good tip about the measurements, they all seem to be half a size to a size too big or small.

I wear Converse. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but they slot into toe clips perfectly because of the rubber toe. They get absolutely soaked when it rains and got drenched through on my triathlon. That said, I ride in them every day and racked up over 4000 miles in them in the last year. I'd love to find a viable alternative because I'm on the brink of switching to cleats to work around the problem.

I forgot to mention - when I was at the Goodwood Revival this year they had a historic Tour de France display. Some of the riders had what looked like a slim Adidas trainer on with a very thin hard looking sole. I really should have asked one of them which one it was, but the closest I can get to it is a football boot with the studs unscrewed. These specifically: http://www.soccerbible.com/news/footbal ... ction.aspx

Adidas World Cup or Copa Mundial

It would be a matter of whether those studs unscrew flush or leave the bosses behind. I'd need to drop into (horror at the thought) a JD Sport or something to find out.

I have a pair of Prada leather trainers that I wear with platform pedals and toeclips. Not exactly retro but comfortable and I can walk in them when not cycling

Attachments

• trainers_Prada.jpg
    trainers_Prada.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 335
Back