Help - will someone please stop me buying..................

Re: Help - will someone please stop me buying...............

I had a G reg V8 Discovery and loved it despite 12 mpg. The bulkhead was rusty at only 9 years old...

legrandefromage":3n955q5p said:
I had a G reg V8 Discovery and loved it despite 12 mpg. The bulkhead was rusty at only 9 years old...

Yep mine too - wheelarches, boot floor, sills. I really mustn't get another but...................... :roll:

Always thought of Sub Forestors as a bit "pipe & slippers", then again if it has the souped motor under the bonnet - and they look relatively cheap :idea:

Mine. Can thoroughly recommend it. Had a legacy estate before it. Much more roady than this but good 4wdwith low ratio

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 265

The issue with the Forester is ultimately ground clearance, nothing more.

I would venture to suggest an LPG converted Disco or even, ye gawds, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Of course I love Pajeros too, so that goes without saying.

None of the Volvos have proper 4x4 so I would pass on them.

Winter is going to be tough this year, so a real over and under machine may be in order.

Thread hijack but have been offered a free xtrail diesel to replace Subaru. About the same age but had very gentle mileage with no off road at all, unlike forester which goes off every day. Inlaws are giving up driving at Xmas.

Worth the swap? Don't know anything about them. Had a few nissans and found them to be bland but very reliable.

The History Man":kwebbdce said:
Thread hijack but have been offered a free xtrail diesel to replace Subaru. About the same age but had very gentle mileage with no off road at all, unlike forester which goes off every day. Inlaws are giving up driving at Xmas.

Worth the swap? Don't know anything about them. Had a few nissans and found them to be bland but very reliable.

If you're getting the Nissan for free, keep the Subaru too - it's the retrobike way!

You didn't get to where you are today by getting rid of bikes - I'm channelling the original Reggie Perrin (well strictly speaking, CJ).

The History Man":3nf84a1m said:

Guy I used to work with had a(n) Xtrail - nothing but hassle - would even prefer a Discovery!

Talking of which - there's a few decent ones on offer at the moment - and an nice mid 90s Hilux

HF - hear what you're saying about the Volvos and I just don't see myself in a Forestor for another 20 years or so.

Anyone know if the 2000 onwards Discos are any better on rust prevention, which was the real downfall for my '96 V8i?

disco IIIs are now stupid cheep...i've a pal runs a LR independent and the repair costs for turbo's are greater than the car's are worth.

I loved my D2 td5 though, it did everything in a personally chaotic 18 months and 50,000 miles - the only problem i ever had was an anti-lock light came on when a chunk of gravel wedged between caliper and disc.

I've had several volvo's (but not awd's) the d5 v70 was a great car (near on 50 to the gallon)

Run a 2.5tdi A4 Quattro which is now my economical disco (without the clearance obv) and 42mpg. If you don't need the ground clearance a late model A4 B7 Quattro Avant is a great all-weather GT.

Quattro or disco for 4wd for me. I appreciate landcruisers and hilux's abilities just wouldn't drive one (though i'd have a gt86 toyota!)

Neil":156e3gp5 said:
The History Man":156e3gp5 said:

If you're getting the Nissan for free, keep the Subaru too - it's the retrobike way!

You didn't get to where you are today by getting rid of bikes - I'm channelling the original Reggie Perrin (well strictly speaking, CJ).
Cant keep both for space and financial reasons. propbably going to swap. Unless I hear something horrendous.

Forester and Snow - Perfect combination. Love mine.

Bear in mind that it's a Subaru so it is reliable.

Back