Is this a Raleigh?

mpjbrennan

Retro Newbie
I recently picked up an old tandem which I thought might be interesting to restore. (pic 2 below) It had been repainted in a green hammer finish, which I stripped off carefully in the relevant places to see if I could uncover some decals giving a clue to its manufacturer. None emerged, but certain things made me think it might be a Raleigh:

1) Raleigh branded handlebar
2) Raleigh branded plastic gear cable guides
3) The head tube had a bracket for the old Raleigh fork lock

When I removed the paint to see if there was a lock barrel in the fork, I found instead a disc bearing a stylised "R" (pic 1 below - this is from the other side of the fork as it cleaned up better). I have never seen an old Raleigh bearing such a mark. Has anyone else? Or can anyone suggest an alternative manufacturer?

Patrick

Attachments

• tandem_001.jpg
    tandem_001.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 408
  • tandem_002.jpg
    tandem_002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 408
Those are the wrong forks and you have a bodged up bottom head bearing. I would not have thought the rather weak raleigh forks would have been strong enough.
Does it have an eccentric front bottom bracket to adjust the front chain?
It really does not look like tandem parts, but made up from standard scrap parts.
I know how dangerous tandems can be, you can't just step off the thing at speed, like you can a solo bike.

I love these quirky things, it's a real eye-catcher! I have soft spot for 'green' coloured bikes for some reason. I know nothing about tandems but does it feel sturdy when you ride it?

Blimey, it's not something I recognise.......Gents front and ladies rear :)

It's obviously been ridden and not fallen apart so pedal away.

Shaun

Blimey, it's not something I recognise.......Gents front and ladies rear :)

It's obviously been ridden and not fallen apart so pedal away.

Shaun

Cripes - what a thing (in a good way!)

As above, looks like quite literally a his and hers in terms of frames. I'd sort that headset bearing out and then get out on it.

As it's a Frankenstein of two bikes, you might find that if/when you strip the hammered finish off it you'll find two serial numbers for the two original bikes. If you're lucky and they're both Raleighs, they may have serials on their bottom brackets.

Enjoy!

It reminds me of the tandems we used to make as kids by bolting the front forks onto the rear axel of the bike in front. Good fun and very bendy.

Looks like it's a blast to ride, we hired a 7 seater in France once, 'twas very funny.

Back