'No name' ebay frame - worth the money do you think??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looks quite a nice frame. Brazed on cable guides, looks like forged drop outs with a gear hanger, so not cheapo entry level. He says the stem is stuck but it may just need a good whack :)

The only thing that looks odd is the huge caliper drop, I think it would look better with 27" wheels. I've just put 700c wheels into a frame built for 27" but the drop doesn't seem as big.

It might possibly be a Dawes but that's a long shot.

I'd say just about worth it if you can pick it up.

Yeah, I reckon I can get that stem out with my wacky bar, go from underneath if needs be :twisted:

Think it has some age to it, trying to work out if that's wrap over seat stays or not....couldn't pick up so post has to be added, shame it's not 'or best offer'. Could flog on some of the bits I 'spose to fund better stuff.

Looks like a nice frame - could actually be a pretty good spec thing - for the reasons already stated and also because it's got mudguard and pannier braze-ons. Not something that is normally bothered with on cheap 'gaspipe' frames! The lugs also look quite attractive. I would say well worth a punt.

The stem won't be a problem, my method which has never failed is to take the front wheel out, open a vice, put a couple of bits of softwood in the jaws (for protection) and then clamp the forks in the vice as far down as they'll go. With them securely held, you can now either get a pair of handlebars or just a great big pair of stilsons (if you don't care about keeping the stem) and twist it free. Don't forget to undo the central retaining bolt beforehand (!) - but don't take it right out as if you do it'll probably leave the bottom part of the stem clamp in the head tube.

If it's really stuck then turn it upside down and pour some Plusgas, WD40 or Cocacola down the head tube and leave for a few days before trying again. I've never had to do that though!

It's rapidly growing on me, fancy a more veteran ride again, had a nice Flying Scot once...

Don't worry, I made the mistake of undoing the bolt completely once before, won't be doing that again! May try the vice method if a 'gentle' tap from above or below doesn't work, presuming I go for it. Assuming the braze ons as mentioned make it worthwhile, as you say, and useful too. Do the top tube cable routing guides help date it, looks very 70s/80s....??

Looks like a very nice 70's or even earlier touring frame with a refinish in the 80's with new paint and top tube guides....the giveaway are the lugs and the seat cluster.........certainly not cheapo :)

Built for long distance touring with 27 wheels, plenty of clearance for mudguards and pannier racks. No Canti brake bosses so maybe specced for someone like me who looks on such things as defeating the object of riding a proper bike....like wearing glasses which I refuse to do even though I am blind.

Shaun

Ha ha, with you on the glasses thing! ;)

Perhaps I'd better not think about this for too long or it might be gone, liking the baby blue colour too. Was thinking modern day single speed conversion with straight bars, but perhaps that would be a waste of a decent frame.... :shock:

very close to a Tom Bromwich I once had
file.php

Back