Mercian Ebay Fever

You should keep it of course bugloss!

I have just checked my frame number which is 734 76, which I take to mean the 734th frame made in 1976.

I too will admit that I really know very little about Mercians, in fact I have never ridden one - hopefully I'll be able to rectify that in a few weeks' time but doing the research during the build is one of the bits that makes all this so interesting!

Yes, mine is much more like the one on that link - it's the same year I think. Perhaps yours is older. I think that Mercian can tell you this information although I believe that there is a charge for this nowadays as they have so many enquiries.

Are your rear stays a straight as the ones in photographs ? I think they look fantastic with almost no taper.

I have riden a few Mercians in my time and it's no secret I have a soft spot for them :) They were always elegant, neat and not agressive. There was a rumour that Reynolds had specially thin rear triangle stays made for Mercian :) Sadly not true.....

Shaun

The little bit of cable for the front mech needing a cable stop on the front mech went out in the very early 70's as front mechs arrived with just a bolt for the bare cable..........The frame could therefore be very early 70's or before. By 1974 when I was working I don't recall any new frames being built with a cable stop like yours.

That wouldn't stop someone from asking for one if they were having the frame built though....

If we fitted new front mechs to old frames we just threw the cable under the bottom bracket or used a band on cable guide.

Shaun

bugloss":1qs246j8 said:
How about that front derailleur cabling Shaun, Is that a 70's detail ?

I'd say it was more like a 60's detail. The cable stop built into the Campag Record front mech dissappeared early 60's I think.

It's hanging in the shed now and the frame number is 60874 with a No. 5 stamped on its own. the number is on the left side of the BB shell.

I guess the No.5 is the frame builders ID number. Nice looking frame and the lugs are exquisite. Quite heavy though, but that might be the lump of Brooks saddle.

It's got a v2 Nuovo Record rear derailleur stamped "PATTENT" no date suffix '68-'69

Back