Pedals with toe clips - What shoes do you wear?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
BITD when I first started riding an mtb, we did not know about spd's and the other cleated type pedals, it was a nice pair of Shimano DX pedals with a decent pair of toe clips and straps.

On our feet, walking boots of some sort were often pressed into service and later very bright (usually Italian) boots sold with cycling in mind. Then came cleats, and all that toe clip stuff was behind me.

Fast forward to my next road project, a 1970's clubmans racer, complete with all age related parts and I have a puzzle on my hands; what the two by four am I going to wear on my feet?

Those of you who were about then have mentioned shoes with wooden soles, nails and other mysterious objects, but the likelyhood of finding such objects in both my size and useable condition are pretty remote, so I started searching for modern alternatives that don't cost an absolute fortune.

I have found a disappearing range of shoes made by Exustar, but what does everyone else wear on their retro road bikes?

The History Man":22dt02mn said:
Adidas Samba!

Is that what you wear when you are riding the Basso?

How stiff are the soles?

I have thought about lace up mtb shoes, but a lot of them look quite wide.

I've got those strange flat plate pedals. Soles are typical soft trainer style. Other than that, salomon exit peak I think they're called.

Hi NielM,

If the link I sent shows price in Danish currency, ignore it - the shoes are currently £135 on their web but they do a price match and Brick Lane Bikes have selected sizes at £114,99 at the moment. There is also a pair (size 12) with a start bid of £69,99 currently on the bay.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, but I could pretty much get both my feet into a size 12 shoe.... well, not quite, but as a size 8 / 42, they would be a little on the loose side.

NeilM

Do you want to wear pure riding shoes which had shoe plates designed to attach to the pedals ( shoe plates) rather like todays cleats...........or are you asking what we used to wear BITD when we had to clips and straps and were just going to school, to the shops, 20 miles to the local pond for fishing (believe me everybody went fishing when I was a kid).

Shaun

I'm asking what people who still ride with pedals and toe clips wear these days. Do guys still have the racing shoes they had BITD, or have they found more modern alternatives, and if so, what are they.

I have found several companies who are reproducing the old look but with more modern shoes, the trouble is that they are all pretty expensive, and as my bike is principally being built for the fun of it and will be ridden on happy days, holidays and the occasional vintage sportive I was hoping there was an easy alternative that would look the part, but not cost more than the price of the whole bike.

Or am I just being cheap? :oops:

Back