1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

Holy cr*p Frank, you sure hit the jackpot with this one!
Excellent colorscheme, beautiful details. Congrats mate :cool:

troje":10bxz3tc said:
JC Mother of lord... that is a very very nice frame. I can't stop looking at it. Is it custom build? I think the fender eyelets aren't standard (but what is?) on such? Is the frame geometry standard? Or tailor fit to the lucky first owner?
can't tell you much aside from that it's a fillet brazed thunderbolt. :LOL: no idea if it was off the shelf geometry or custom. doing some quick measurements, it looks to be about the same as my Titanium. when i get a chance, i'll do a more in-depth comparison.

i can tell you it's not original paint but bagpipes had it redone in classy gunmetal finish. he mentioned the paint code was from Porsche. Reminds me of the lovely metallic gunmetal grey off of the Honda S2000.

decals are Gil repros. as nice as they are, i will replace them if i can source originals. RM head/seat tube badges I can do for sure as they aren't quite right. the RM downtube decals a maybe as I'll have a source for replacements but I'd like to stick with the white on black and not sure at the moment. I'll prob leave the Thunderbolt model decals as is until I print off ones needed for my Titanium and do both. I want to add tubing decal and I believe it would by white diamond shape Tange Ultimate superlight/ultralight MTB decal?

tangeultimate1.jpg

the frame has had some work done to it. at one point the owner prior to bagpipes had SS drop-outs installed. bagpipes had the proper Ritchey drop-outs brazed back on. looking at the 93 RM catalogue, it looks to be the proper drop-outs as you see eyelets in the product photo. work was done by very reputable frame builder in Ontario, Canada. his name is Hugh and he builds bikes under the name True North. I believe this is the blog entry of actual work done on the frame:

http://www.truenorthcycles.com/2010/01/ ... d-repairs/

The '93 may have used a Rocky branded tube decal ?

I have no actual idea though and unless you're good with identifying tubing, neither will you.
Tubing, geometry and fillet or not construction all custom to the buyer as far as I know.
Probably was though ;)

took some time and had some fun in rummaging through my stash and this is what i've pulled out. :)

i knew one day i'd end up using my NOS pewter RF turbine and matching minty real seal headset. well the day has finally come. :D

probably kit it with f/r XTR m900 mechs and STI units. may go with m900 canti, or possible NOS set of ControlTech canti. option of going with either RF or Syncros ti bb with the RF turbines. bar will be black Syncros Hardcore, unless of course i get my hands on a Syncros ti.

not sure on stem yet. i have a pair of RF ti stems, but I don't think it'll work with this. posts i have are a Syncros Ti, and Syncros old style T-cross (and possible regular Hardcore too), and a Ringle. for forks i'm thinking maybe an Amp F3xc in grey or a Marzocchi XC 600, which is in need of a rebuild to fix the leaking seals. i'm leaning towards the XC600 colour-wise.

lets hear some feedback on what i should build with! ;)

Attachments

• DSC05805.JPG
    DSC05805.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC05804.JPG
    DSC05804.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC05802.JPG
    DSC05802.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 692
Race face bb with the cranks

Newer style seat post as that's correct.
Try the stem as it would balance out the Ti seat post.
M900 always a good elegant choice.
Change the seals before you choose to use them, I couldn't get a set I have of xcr apart :LOL:

Then send it over here and I'll finish it off with some nice wheels

The obvious choice is the RF cranks with Blackspire rings paired with the RF BB (...assuming the spindle length works).
Looking sweet Frank!

Would the gunmetal Syncros kit be overkill in the gunmetal/gray department?

I have a fairly mint Syncros cattlehead in XTR grey. I was playing with it on another build and didn't have a chance to take it off yet. Might be the route I'll take.

Both RF and Syncros ti BB are 107mm axles. ;)

FluffyChicken":mjpbl0j1 said:
Change the seals before you choose to use them, I couldn't get a set I have of xcr apart :LOL:

something got lost in translation over the Atlantic, i don't quite follow the last part. :LOL:

FluffyChicken":mjpbl0j1 said:
Then send it over here and I'll finish it off with some nice wheels

it's too small for you Ben, but i'm sure you'd try hard to make it fit you. ;)

hi frank
welcome to the thunderbolt club. :cool:
nice looking frame. too bad about that fork.
once you get some wheels under it we'll show you the secret handshake. :LOL:
this is the third thunderbolt to change hands in the past couple months.
when it rains it pours!!!
i'll be watching.
roy

p.s. what's this about the rest of a RM collection and stash of parts!!!
pictures please.

Latest posts

Back