Ringle headset bearings / cups Help

dan smith

Retro Guru
Does anyone know if the bearings are removable form the headset cups on a Ringle headset:

You can get access to the bearings to re-grease etc however the bearing unit does not seem to ‘fall out’ as a whole easily:

Has anyone successfully removed the bearing units from the headset cups without any damage?

I ask this as I am keen to re anodise the headset cups

thanks

They are not meant to come out, but they can be removed if you're very very careful. An expending puller is ideal, other careful way of holding and a press also work. Heating the al cups with a heatgun helps greatly.
Note though that the bearings were custom made by SKF so if you damage one you won't be able to get a replacement.
Careful with the re-ano though, as if they etch off too much taking the old ano off, the bearings will be loose forever.
I may have some NOS black 1 1/8 cups somewhere, but I'd have to be motivated to look...

Thanks for the info elite504. exactly what I was looking for but not what I wanted to hear :)

I think I will leave them as they are, i don’t want to damage a nice part for the sake of a colour change.

I don’t suppose you have a Ringle seat collar (32 / 31.8mm) that I could motivate you to find by any chance :)

Thanks again

Dan

Back