Rock Shox Deluxe - squelchy noise!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
The RS Deluxe rear shock on my Zobop makes a squelchy noise when I bounce on it by putting weight on the saddle and leaning, as you do when testing it and playing around before it's actually rideable.

Should I worry about this? No play anywhere. Maybe in the heat of battle out on the trails I wouldn't even have heard it anyway!

Sounds like what was, BITD, termed "Amp-physema", a noise made by hydraulic dampers when some small air bubbles get into the damper oil. As the term suggests, this was common in Amp research shocks, and can be heard in many air/oil forks as well.

Generally, it's not a real problem. Some air is inevitably included in the oil chamber, as no seal is ever perfect. If there's too much air, the rebound could become uncontrolled and the compression damping compromised, but generally it's just a noise that tells you your suspension is working, LOL.

J

:LOL: That's the sort of thing I was hoping someone would say, I am rather in love with this thing already!

It's lovely and smooth, in so far as you can tell by doing the above bounce test, though the rebound is pretty sharp, but then once there's some weight on it properly that may be better, obviously.... It's never going to be super plush, lets face it, it's 16 years old after all! :facepalm:

The Deluxe on my STS does this for the few bounces then settles down. Works fine after this.

It's a relief to know! This hasn't been ridden for ages so I really ought to just get on with it and build the bloody thing up and RIDE!! :twisted:

Have you decided to run it as a single speed or geared?
I seem to remember that it made a slightly squishy noise when I used it - that was only 2 or 3 rides though - and that it wasn't at all noticeable when out on the trail.
Looking forward to seeing the build :)

ajantom":2d2r8oni said:
Have you decided to run it as a single speed or geared?
I seem to remember that it made a slightly squishy noise when I used it - that was only 2 or 3 rides though - and that it wasn't at all noticeable when out on the trail.
Looking forward to seeing the build :)

Depends what day of the week it is and what colour knickers I'm wearing :roll:

It just so happens that I have a set of cranks with an outer ring in dark red that matches the frame spot on, so at the moment it's going to be geared, but the seat post and bars I had for it are a different colour yellow to the forks.... :facepalm: (so Kore bars fitted for now)

Attachments

• Zobop 002.JPG
    Zobop 002.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 702
  • Zobop 003.JPG
    Zobop 003.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 702
Back