Show me your roller cams, U brakes

I'm waiting for a bike for this too, something mid - late 80's ...
IMAG0110.jpg

What does the thumbwheel cam do on the right side? Just fitted this instead of an Exage mountain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 533
Your picture shows a U-Brake not a Roller Cam Brake so not sure what right hand cam your referring too ?

The thumb wheel is for adjusting the center-center distance of the bridge so that it can be fit to frames/forks with slightly different spacing between posts. Also might be useful for applying some preload in the system to help braking performance.

A couple for comparison...

Untitled.jpg

And the Suntour XCD4050 fitted to my 88' Stumpy...

The History Man":1dii3io2 said:
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Not sure why it's needed though.

Well how would you solve the problem of mass manufacturing a U-brake with a booster bridge that will fit posts that are 88, 89, 90, or 91 mm apart? Seems like a pretty ingenious solution to me. The other options being to provide an un-drilled booster that is drilled with the proper spacing at the time of installation (e.g. WTB) or possible providing slots instead of holes (e.g. MRC and many others).

Was just that I have two exage mountain versions with no adjustment. Didn't think about the cam on setup and hasn't seemed to make any difference between the two types.

Very nicely engineered all the same.

Wtb Phoenix with rollercam in the front and togglecam in the back

still need a booster for that, if somebody has a great idea where to get one, let me know....
brodie catalyst´s with xt and mrc

cheers kay

Latest posts

Back