Completed my first 'sportive'

NeilM":2quznqge said:
One of the local sportives around here runs up a climb called Burrington Combe. Go a look it up on strava or OS maps, it's a miserable thing that just goes up and up onto the Mendip Hills. You get to a point where you think you have beaten it, do one more kick around the corner and discover you are barely half way up and the second half is the steepest part.

Tough guys and pros (like JTL, Dan LLoyd and others) use this climb to train on, as it is so horrible, and yet the sportive organisers take a bunch of leisure cyclists up the damn thing. Why?

Yeah the top of the combe is actually only half way. It's 2.5 miles from top to bottom. I've cleaned it on my fixie ;)

A couple of pictures...

Daughter and myself ready for the off
P1010478.jpg

P1010477.jpg

54 miles later and now sporting the Team Scotland National Champion Jersey
P1010489.jpg

and I'm still smiling...
Strontian.jpg

I did my first sportive last month, a 104 mile route around Rutland. I found that the riding standards and etiquette were poor with no one warning of pot holes or road side obstacles. Also the pace was very much up and down instead of steady with riders also trying to ride flat out down the hills! My friend and I decided to separate ourselves from them so dropped to the back and let them go and over the next 60 miles pretty much passed all of them as they blew up from going too quick. I know it wasn'ta race but we ended up 8th or so fastest over the full distance out of 43 riders.
While I enjoyed it I'm not sure if I'd do another one as it's a lot of money for something you can do by yourself.

The one I did was £30 on the day, this included 3 feed stops and a pint with a hot meal at the end so not too bad.

Mine cost £28 with a breakfast before leaving 3 food stops and soup on returning. I had a coffee before heading off and only stopped at the last food stop to fill up my bidon

Back