L'eroica - attendance and preparations

Good stuff.

Perhaps we should arrange to meet up at registration/flea market, say 10 a.m. on Saturday by the church in Gaoile?

Whilst I'm planning to ride the long ride, lack of miles this year will mean I'll be happy to take the social speed option - still planning to start relatively early (with lights) just to enjoy the magical experience of riding in the dark, particularly the candle-lit climb up to Castello Brolio.

Probably looking to ride from Greve to Gaiole on the Saturday, so will probably get there a bit later - say 11?

"Lack of miles this year"? It's all relative! I'd certainly be up for setting off as early as possible and seeing what unfolds from there.

11 a.m. at the church in Gaiole sounds good to me.

good luck all!! gutted not to be going this year, but have already committed to next :)

the 205K route is a cracker, but it's a long 205Km - not to worry you have all day

When I was there last, some pratt from a golf course had someone spray water over the white roads, presumably so
the dust wouldn't blow over the course while the rich idiots
were fumbling with their little white balls.

The white dust becomes quite sticky and gathers pebbles, but it's not as bad as British (of Flemish) mud.

Most of the roads have some sort of hard base under the dust I think, so they don't seem to turn into a complete quagmire when it rains.

i was surprised (and annoyed) when a couple of Ferraris sped past us in the middle of nowhere kicking up clouds of dust. then we discovered the golf course and saw many a high value car covered in dust. suppose it keeps the valets in a job

fair play to the golf club staff however, they were out at the roadside handing out bottles of water

when wet the roads remain firm, the riders become grey :cool:

EVANS-VINO-ATTACK by gmac123, on Flickr

Indeed, no disrespect intended to the staff, they are probably local guys and maybe genuine tifosi too.

I guess it's tough really. On the one hand it seems fundamentally moronic to go to such a culturally and naturally spectacular place as Tuscany and play bloody golf.

On the other hand, given the difficult economy in Italy, the golf course may be the only source of employment for some people.

Arrived and settled in the hotel in Radda in Chianti, bike unpacked and assembled.

The weather is very pleasant but the hotel owner was prompt in finding out if I had heard "the secret" yet i.e. the forecast. Best get a few decent rides in during the next few days before the appointment with the Tuscan Toothpaste.

Right, off for a pizza and a chat with, I hope, more than one of the Moretti's.

Even the Italians are bemoaning the weekend's weather forecast on Facebook - prolonged heavy rain on Saturday means it will be the dreaded Tuscan toothpaste on Sunday. I guess it's a just a case to get to the point where the route splits and take it from there?

Back