I have been away

Still Here, With No Sign Of A Way Out. Diagnosed With Depression, Struggling, And Going From Hour To Hour.

What Do You Guys Do when It All Gets To mucH?

Dreary Day Doesn't Help.

Try Not To Breath..............

The best piece of advice I can think of is learn to accept that suffering from depression is NOT a sign of weakness...

...it takes a long while to sink so low, clawing your way back to reality does not happen over night; take your medication and set yourself achievable goals. Too much expectation won't do you any good.

Also, you are not alone in your suffering; don't make yourself a social pariah...

...you are asking for help; that is a brave start :cool:

Piperdave":oeatmldh said:
Still Here, With No Sign Of A Way Out. Diagnosed With Depression, Struggling, And Going From Hour To Hour.

Dreary Day Doesn't Help.

Try Not To Breath..............

As Stevo says, talking about it is a good start. Having been through depression and worse some years ago I feel for where you are right now. The key thing to remember is you are not the only one who is going through it right now and there is help and support out there for you as and when you need it.

I heard someone talking the other day about kids going off to University, and what to do as a parent when/if they phone you after a week saying they are unhappy and want to come home. The best piece of advice I heard was that a parent would contact their daughter at key points throughout the day and have a chat with them, and would then tell them they would speak to them after tea, or tomorrow morning etc. Break your day down into manageable chunks, look only a few hours ahead (even if it is only until you get 5 minutes to drop in on RB and see who is around trying to sell a BSO for £500).

It takes a huge amount of strength to admit you need help, and that in itself is a massive step on the road to recovery.

If you want to talk to someone who has been there then feel free to PM me if you want to chat. I don't know you from Adam (or Eve) and sometimes I found it easier to open up to someone I didn't know than someone I did.

Hang in there - you'll surprise yourself with your own strength and resolve and you will pull through.

Ade

Piperdave":33dbh2sc said:

Good food is a start for me, I agree with LGF above.
Cooking is relaxing and gives me purpose - you know going to the shops, deciding on what you're gonna make yourself for brekkie/lunch/dinner takes the mind off heavy stuff, isn't it.

You didn't need your doctor to diagnose you with depression you already knew you were depressed and the very fact you've admitted it to yourself and the folks around you or here on the board is a positive step towards getting back to the proper happy you.

I only really breakdown when I've overindulged in junk, overworked or starved myself of proper nutrients
causing hallucinations or over-analysis of current events, which scares me.

When things all seem too much for me it's usually down to a chemical imbalance in the brain
not my personality or self.

This seriously effects my ability to think clearly rationally and positively.
I need to think rationally to fix the crazy situations I get myself into and need to keep cool to be cool.

The little voice I hear in my head is my voice - It should sound as clear and loud inside as it does when resonating around a room or a hillside and it should generally be of positive constructive tone; melancholy and lament is fine (for a short time) and I always offer myself this option if it's on the table; I usually take it/think it for a little while.
This manifests itself through thoughts and wee tears then phased out alongwith a sad song or an album, at a stretch.

This is calm time away from the hustle and bustle of people and invasive thoughts and it should be treated as such, meditation.
Any music to help with a trance like chill state or a quiet place which I can be alone and calm in is key to my fighting back against depression.

I get in this chill place think things over calmly then stand up and be normal.
Depression (long-term lamenting or melancholy lasting hours or days) is detrimental to positive action and I don't allow myself to feel it, if at all possible, for any length of time.

Being scared or sad is not being depressed, for me they are different entirely.

All these emotions are normal responses to the trials and tribulations of 21st living both 1st world and 3rd world problems and I try not to beat myself up having them/feeling like this.
You're on this street just now and you're lost but soon after a bit of walking and talking you'll turn the corner and be back on a familiar street you used to kick a ball along and shout at buses, isn't it.

All the best, happy trails + bon appetit!

jonny :)

All great advice - one thing I'd add, is seek out some 'proper' help, and be prepared to try a few different avenues before you get good results. I spent many years happily quaffing strong meds from my psychiatrist to suppress all the darkness inside, before I finally got referred to a psychologist in a different area who spent a long time unpacking my head and helping me to deal with the root causes. I'm not cured, and still need light meds, but I no longer feel like a human car-crash and I can get through most days without scaring the wife.
Above all else, just because no-one else feels exactly the same as you, doesn't mean you're alone. A huge number of people suffer similar problems, sometimes just telling one of them exactly what your head feels like can help to ease the pressure.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I am not yet on meds, but working hour by hour. My diet remains good. Un fortunatly, i know the reason for my depression, but cannot see a way out, neither can any of thepeople i have talked to. And talking really helps, as i found out when i burst into tears during a meeting with my boss nd spent 1 1/2 hours crying on the desk. Found i could sleep better after that.

Your continued support will help a great deal thanks.....

Dave....

Back