Modern MTB tyre preferences

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

Tyre preferences and reviews here please.

I'm looking at buying a new set myself for winter and would like to see your opinions. Bear in mind that this may become a popular post as the season will be changing soon.

(Apologies if this has been discussed already, I can't find any previous threads).

Retro tyres in here, modern tyres on the 98+ section.
There was a thread on all-round tyres recently.

Edit, just realised it's you Trebz. Get yersen in the right section duck!

Oh hell... apols guys... thought for sure I'd created this in the post 98 section !

Can someone move it?

[ moved ]

For the record I still really like Panaracer Fire XC pros as an all year round and all conditions tyre.
Also use and like Kenda Nevegals, Panaracer Cinders and Maxxis Crossmarks for when it's really dry.

I also use:
Ritchey Z Max - great all round retro tyre.
Ritchey Megabite - look nice, okay grip.
Panaracer Smoke - good grip in softer conditions, horribly draggy on tarmac.
Panarcer Dart (front only) - awful on the front, unless you like front end slide outs.
Tioga Farmer Johns Cousin - surprising good for an old tyre.
Tioga Farmer Johns Nephew - Okay as long as it's dry and you don't push to hard when cornering.
Tioga Trail Dawg and Wonder Dawg - Light trails only.
Continental Vapor - Budget tyre with okay performance on hard pack.
Continental Mountain King - Great if you like punctures
Marin Quake 2.0 - Okay for an OEM tyre
Marin OEM - Slightly better than the Quake
Nokian Extreme 294 - Studded Winter tyre. Amazing on sheet ice, heavy and noisy on everything else. Overkill in snow.

There's probably more I've forgotten...

Edited:

You mean winter ie mud specific tyres?

On a hardtail I always go with narrower tyres for mud, Geax Barro Mud used to be good (do they still do them?)

I'll repeat again.
Nobby Nics. (Evo snakeskin 2.25 reviwed by me)

Best all round tyre I have used done everything needed of them through a complete year.

Panaracer xc fire pro
Good but not quite the nobby nic

Panaracer xc fire mud pro.
Good in the gloop, bit harsh, not so nice on the tarmac. Slipper and bouncy on chalk paths.

Conti Explorer Pro. Supersonic
Not made any more in the lightweight tyre, excellent until it gets really muddy.

Conti twister supersonic
Shite, unless it's bone dry flat land or tarmac, no puncture resistance whatsoever.

Charge splashbacks
Bit odd feel to them in the 2.1 size on grass or trenches at slow speeds.
1.8 nicer, but still lack grip on the road and the damp we have now is showing there limits.
A fast dry tyre.

Etc

Sorry, my bad. Thought this was in the pre-97 section of the site. :oops:

I don't really use modern tires, so I have no opinion. I've tossed Kenda Klaw's on my snow bike because they're cheap and seem to have a decent tread. I'm still running Panaracer Smoke/Dart's on my wife's bike because I love them.

Back