Mercian Ebay Fever

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to bid for this little gem. Too small for me but perfect for the good lady. It seems the kids and my wife get all the good retro steelers.

Frame No. 60874 so 1974 but which model, is it a Strada ?

Attachments

• Mercian.jpg
    Mercian.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,487
Midlife":3n4gjvag said:
Love the rear brake :D

Shaun

Yes, quite.
I can't see how that's going to make it go any faster, but judging by the rims he hasn't been doing much braking.

Hmmm very nice! My current project is a 1976 Superlight - it's nice to see another one. I think that they were generally designed for time trialling so it's not about the brakes.

Mercian Superlight moniker went back to the 50's :)

I'm not an expert on Mercian frame numbers but the frame angles and fork rake look a little earlier.....

Shaun
PS the Strada crops up from time to time on e-bay as a Colnago or an Aende because of the drilled lugs!

I can't figure the serials out either. On some they go year prefix i.e. 58488 for the '58 Super Vigorelli that I bought and on others they go year suffix. Could this be from 1960?

Martin, what's the number on yours and can you post a photo?

It looks like this one has been used for time trialling as it's got a straight through 5 speed block on it plus the novel brake position and a bonus is that it has a 1st. edition Cinelli 1R stem, which I'm particularly pleased about, that surely must add an extra 1/2 mph.

I've just been looking at a download from the Mercian Register and it looks like from 1958 to the mid 60's the serials went date prefix. Judging by the few examples on the register.

See extract below
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1959 Campionissimo
Blue (polychromatic?), lugs lined in gold 20-1/2 c-t
Nigel Olson, UK ’07 June 2006
#61685 unknown model, orange
sold by Mel Blake of Southport, England in May, 2004
1961 road-path
Nigel Olson, UK
07 June 2006
1961 Unconfirmed as Mercian pics from eBay
1961 Olympique [confirmed] Ian Skinner, U.K.
Serial Number 61831 - confirmed previously by Mercian as a 1961 model
David Buxton, UK
07 June ‘06
Possibly a Campionissimo, based on info from #63125 **See below for explanation of raised digit in serial number
Hello,
I bought a Mercian from the local Tip for £2. It was in a Skip waiting top be crushed! It has a Stronglight drilled chainset and
rides beautifully. The number is. 48262 and a raised 2 at the end. The following is part of an Email from Mercian at Derby. "Blimey! Don't quite know what to say about a Mercian being tipped.
Anyway - the 482 represents the number - i.e. 482nd frame - built in 1962. The number 2 slightly higher up represents the frame builder - Cyril Wagstaff, who retired from here about 5 years ago. We don't still have the records going back quite that far, so unfortunately I can't tell you who owned it originally, but it would certainly be Reynolds 531 tubing."
I have attached a picture to show how it now looks with a little cleaning up. Hope this helps,
All the best,
David Buxton
1963 road-path [Campionissimo?] Nigel Olson, UK
’07 June 2006
my Mercian Road/Path bike Serial number 63125, renovated by Mercian this year, they think it is a Campionissimo?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd leave in the comments about the one found in the tip. :D

There are some old catalogues on the Mercian website that may provide some info: ( http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/history )

There are some pics of mine on this thread: ( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=269375 )

I don't know the frame number off the top of my head but I'll take a look later. I assumed that yours was older as mine has braze on lever bosses but that might not be much of a guide. The shot in seat stays and the lugs are pretty definitive though, I think.

Thanks for the links, I have been admiring your Superlight since you posted it as I love the colours.

Looking at the catalogues it seems that I may unintentionally be building up a bit of a collection of decent Mercians. I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about them and after seeing one for sale in the US they keep crossing my path for reasonable money.

Hmmmm.....what to do next, as it was initially my intention to keep the parts and pass on the frame, but that may be the wrong approach in this case. I'll have to wait till I clap eyes on it on Tuesday and verify the age of it before deciding what to do, shame it's not a 23" though.

Back