Good base for a cheap single speed bike?

As far as I'm aware, fixed gear bikes need only a single brake as the speed of the rear wheel is controlled by the riders legs. This is as far as I know the law since time in memorial but a second brake would still be a good idea as an emergency skid brake of the rear wheel is an aquired skill many fixie riders never aquire.

Have read the single spead thread and understand the ethos, couple of guys have got a front shocker, but know seeing them prefer the look of the rigids, search has changed and my thinking has changed, the search has changed.

My experiences so far, I agree with the rigid thing where poss, I think that less weight and more simplicity hing really works. All of my SS bikes are like this except my newly built Trailstar and that's a heavy dog at the mo!

I plan to reframe one of mine and see how it feels with rigids should be fun!

Dead Rats":aowofg2j said:
FWIW where does the actual law stand on new fixies being sold in bike shops with no rear brake?

I know you asked this in the context of UK laws but...

FWIW here in the US only track bicycles sold for the sole purpose of riding on a velodrome can leave the bike shop with no brakes. Fixed gear road bikes must have front and rear brakes.

Back to the original question

Pre 1990 steel Stumpjumpers have short horizontal drops so you can make a very cheap single speed. I made this one from the parts box under my work bench.

Steven

Attachments

• Specialized ss.jpg
    Specialized ss.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 520
It's true, retro and steel does make a good SS bike...

2013-01-07172132.jpg

An old rear mech is a good cheap chain tensioner, and suspension is handy if you plan on using it off-road much...

IMG_1320_zps919c99f5.jpg

I'd buy a On One frame and go fully rigid or I'd try to find an old Kona frame and slap a project 2 fork on it if you can't get a set.

Back