BEWARE WITH PLANETXBIKES SHOP AND SARTO ROVIGO FRAMESET.

keithglos":1krkom0o said:
Dan is absolutely correct, but I don't know how the retailer is supposed to know, they should react though.
I have seen fork blades without penetration into the crown, including one I had in 1955 which was an Ephgrave, one fork blade just fell out.

But here this could well be a production problem with a large number.
After a second look it seems it is not intended to be brazed, just inserted and held in by the brake bolt and perhaps a lucky interference fit.

Keith

That's terrible. What a bodge if the brake bolt is supposed to hold it together especially in these "fixie" times!

Perhaps it was supposed to be bonded instead? Eitherway, you are lucky the accident wasn't worse.

Thank you for all again.I will send an email to dave@planet-x-bikes.com.I have sent some mail to sales,customer and other members from Planetx.I think again that stuff people from that shop are not good because I made large mails.I don't want money for that accident,only they stop selling those forks.I like cycling and I don't want people with the same problem.
i want returning it to Planet x or Sarto.I have more 1" forks but the normal is sending me one - same quality snd price- good condition fork.

I'm happy about my Campagnolo Chorus front brake bolt because it's high quality.I don't want to think about a broken brake bolt.

Jorge
I have your mail and have replied directly to you
I am sorry about this incident and we will react quickly .
I will also find out why your message was not replied to by our customer services and have asked you to confirm where sent to and what date , this is unacceptable and it is not our intention .
Please reply directly to my mail and we can look to analyse the problem and see if it is isolated , and if not take the appropriate actions .
Sorry again for your experience to date .

Dave

it is not intended to be brazed, just inserted and held in by the brake bolt and perhaps a lucky interference fit
No, absolutely, definitely supposed to be brazed, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
It's a fairly standard Long Shen LC14:

I don't know of any crowns just held on by the brake bolt. The leverages at the crown, especially during braking, are immense, and Jorge was very lucky.

IIRC this type of failure was one of the reasons for manufacturers dropping the clamped crowns on MTB forks.
While all the clamped steerers did have flanges or circlips to retain them in the crown, it was a safety critical joint which could be messed with by the customer, unlike the press-fit, bonded or moulded new stuff, where the manufacturer has full control.

Anyway, it looks like daveplanetx is helping Jorge :) , and I hope that PX at least look seriously into the possibility of a recall.

All the best,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 10.13.47.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 10.13.47.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,151
Dan, what I meant was a second look at the pics shows absolutely no sign of brazing, and red paint is on the crown where it joins the column.

Keith.

Dave from Planetx has mailed me and he's trying to do the best.The first as I have seen was stopping the sale of the frame set and now it's
O.K . I hope all Sarto buyers will be lucky without problems.
I think the big problem is from the brand Sarto.I have never seen somehing like that before.I remember the cheapest steel frames like Peugeot and never with that kind of problem.

danson67":128bil7r said:
it is not intended to be brazed, just inserted and held in by the brake bolt and perhaps a lucky interference fit
No, absolutely, definitely supposed to be brazed, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
It's a fairly standard Long Shen LC14:

I don't know of any crowns just held on by the brake bolt. The leverages at the crown, especially during braking, are immense, and Jorge was very lucky.

IIRC this type of failure was one of the reasons for manufacturers dropping the clamped crowns on MTB forks.
While all the clamped steerers did have flanges or circlips to retain them in the crown, it was a safety critical joint which could be messed with by the customer, unlike the press-fit, bonded or moulded new stuff, where the manufacturer has full control.

Anyway, it looks like daveplanetx is helping Jorge :) , and I hope that PX at least look seriously into the possibility of a recall.

All the best,

Back