Suburban RetroBike #2 - 5th October 2013

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Following last weekend's successful recce of the route I would like to offer it as a group ride for October.

The starting point is Bromley South railway station, a handy transport hub for anyone in the South East of the Country, well served by express trains from pretty much anywhere in Kent. For those on the South coast, note that I will be riding via East Croydon station to reach the start point. It takes at least 45 minutes to go from East Croydon to Bromley by train, but only 20 minutes by bike, so I can provide a handy tour guide service.

Within minutes you will be whisked away from the hectic city life and soon be immersed in a hidden world of horse stud farms, playing fields, football grounds and common land. This gives way to dense woodland and open fields as the route heads further South across Hayes Common towards the historic airfield at Biggin Hill (optional visit for war/aviation buffs).

Turning West we will head down the exciting bridleway to Furze Bottom, followed by a lung busting climb to the viewpoint at Higham's Hill. To recharge our batteries there will be a pub stop at The White Bear in Fickleshole.

Heading North there will be a brief spell of road riding before getting back into the woodlands of Fryland's Scout Camp. Some more open riding alongside Addington Golf Club will bring us to the charming Selsdon Woods Nature Reserve.

A brief food stop at Selsdon will provide the ideal opportunity to re-fuel before the climb to the top of the Shirley Hills for some stunning views (weather permitting) over the whole of London from Wembely right across to rural Essex. On the final descent of the day we will stop to see one of London's last surviving working windmills.

To conclude there will be the option of a leisurely road ride back to the starting point at Bromley South, or an alternative road based short cut to East Croydon.

This ride is extensively off road so would suit all styles of mountain bike from cross country to all mountain with a recommended minimum tyre size of 26 x 1.75. Likewise heavy duty hybrid bikes with 700c x 40 tyres will be suitable. The route could be muddy in places so knobbly tyres are to be recommended.

The route involves a certain amount of climbing and the total length could be around 30 miles, therefore it would suit the average to fitter rider. There is the option to do a half ride as far as the White Bear pub and take an unguided "easy" road route back towards civilisation, but it would still involve about a further 5 miles of riding to the nearest train station.

Definitely Coming:

Flossyrockstar

Not Coming:

Secret_Squirrel

I ended up doing this again today and had a blast. I skipped on Gravel Hill since I ended up messing about in Selsdon for longer as it started to rain and it was dry under the forest canope.

That blast from Biggin Hill is a hoot as is the cross over between the golf courses. Also keep an eye out for a very famous spot in our history (we completely missed it first time around!).

Even though it hasn't rained much in the days preceeding it was still pretty muddy in places so make sure you've got some decent treads. Couple of pics to follow.

Might be up for this ride if I survive the one tomorrow! Put me down as a possible please.

EDIT: As discussed, can't do this due to the wife's birthday! :oops:

So as indicated, I had a right good thrash around this loop. Couple of little reminders for Purley :)

That bit just outside Biggin Hill where we got told off for being on the footpath, when you get to the lake, go past it but hanger left not long after and you'll take the lower route which was the bridleway. It'll sign post to the left when you reach the top - take that to cross the road directly onto the next bridleway section...
...which takes you past Wilberforce oak. Make sure to take a stop for a nice picture and education lesson ;-)

7gme.jpg

oh6d.jpg

Watch out for horses, there were a lot on Saturday. They were all very pleasant but left a lot of do-do so keep your eyes peeled.
That scout camp bit, when you're in the car-park, go left to the end and you'll see a path to your right - take that and head up. You'll see a junction at the top, take the right to go up again then left and that'll take you on the path out of the forest into the field. That'll skip all that bit we did in the camping field looking for an exit :LOL:
When you get to the common remember don't head left to Warlingham (spelling) but right, then first left. Follow that road to the junction and take a right - you'll see the bridleway into the woods...
...the one with the major gunk! Make sure you've got some good tread. I ended up heading out without a loop because I wanted to check out Selsdon more. When you're out of that, remember to take the first right road! (The blast across the Golf courses was ACE!).
Finally Selsdon, definitely try and follow the post markings. There are green and red arrowed routes. They take you all over the wood and are a right hoot if you crank up the speed. They aren't technically demanding but still good fun if you mix it up a bit.

Have fun!!

Meet on the station forecourt for Bromley South at 10:30
I anticipate it will be quite a long day as I'm bound to get a bit lost at some point :) As a rough estimate 17:30 back at Bromley South.
I can collect people from East Croydon at 10:00 prompt (might be slightly better for secret squirrel) and return them there after journey's end.
Flossyrockstar, if there is anyway you could drag out The Stig, even for just a mile or two, it would be epic, I've given up asking him directly.

PurleySquire":1wkmjjr1 said:
Meet on the station forecourt for Bromley South at 10:30
I anticipate it will be quite a long day as I'm bound to get a bit lost at some point :) As a rough estimate 17:30 back at Bromley South.
I can collect people from East Croydon at 10:00 prompt (might be slightly better for secret squirrel) and return them there after journey's end.
Flossyrockstar, if there is anyway you could drag out The Stig, even for just a mile or two, it would be epic, I've given up asking him directly.

I'll facebook him to see if he's up for it.

Latest posts

Back